Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
1974 Jensen Project Vin16281  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-08-2018 03:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
metal144

This one needs a new top and bodywork/patching ordered a timing belt and tensioner previous owner had 3 Jensen Healeys.

Attachment: $_59(7).JPG (Downloaded 160 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-08-2018 03:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
metal144

Interior is good even the clock works needs a patch on the drivers floor,cleaning detailing etc.

Attachment: $_59(8).JPG (Downloaded 161 times)

Posted: 07-08-2018 03:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
metal144

My first 2 cars back in the day were British now adding these to the family of Jaguars for company.

Attachment: $_59(9).JPG (Downloaded 161 times)

Posted: 07-09-2018 05:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Tim Murphy

The car pictured looks in good condition. Congratulations on a wise purchase. Take care.

Posted: 04-04-2020 04:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
noomg

metal144,

From the photos your car looks like an original, well cared for car. When I got mine in '93, like yours it was almost completely stock, however it was really beat up. The interior was shot, body was rough to say the least.

I also had to replace the floor boards. The first thing I would do is get rid of those rubber mats, they're the reason most everyone has to replace their floor boards. The first time I lifted those mats to have a look they were still wet underneath, it hadn't rained in SoCal for months.

Posted: 04-05-2020 01:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
redracer

POR15, Mastercoat, KBS, will take care of any rust problems as long as you get it on NOW.

Posted: 04-05-2020 03:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
noomg

Bruce,

All that stuff works great if there's something there to put it on.

As you can tell I'm not a big fan of those original rubber mats, I think they were a very bad idea. IMHO,if you have a set I'd recommend you find a nice place in your garage for them then get a set of floor mats that breathe.

Posted: 04-06-2020 10:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
redracer

Yes, there should be "something" to put the rustproofing on, but I have seen quarter sized holes nicely filed with POR15.
After I placed the POR15(silver) on my floorboards, I coated it with wax(spray/whatever will do--just leave it on--no buffing).
Not sure about your car, but there were 3/8" foam mats under the front rubber mat and the center one(which we always remove; guess they were put there to reduce road noise)

Posted: 04-08-2020 03:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
noomg

When I got my car there wasn't much underneath the rubber mats except some hardboard, additional rubber pieces, some water, and a lot of rust. Carpeting and any original insulation was long gone. The driver's side while rusty was still pretty sound although there was a small metal patch. A strip, seal, and paint solved the problem.

The passenger side was another matter, the rubber floor mat was about to fall through the floor, so mitigation was a bit move involved. Once all the rust had been cut out I was left with a rather large hole. Instead of a standard replacement panel I opted for a sheet of stainless steel. It was relatively easy to cut, shape, and install, I did use replacement cross members from Delta however.

As I said, not a fan of those original rubber mats. Now I've got a set of period correct coco mats that look great.

Posted: 04-08-2020 04:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
redracer

I had a custom set made by Lloyds; the embroider whatever you want in the middle--very happy with them. They have different grades and colors to match(hopefully) your interior

https://www.lloydmatsstore.com/ultimat-floor-mats

Posted: 04-09-2020 03:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
noomg

Bruce, are you saying Lloyds actually has the Jensen-Healey logo to embroider, I'm impressed! Most aftermarket places not only don't list J-H, they've never even heard of it.

Posted: 04-09-2020 04:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
redracer

I just had the letters: "J-H" embroidered(in red/carmine to match my car) into the center.
With today's equipment being able to scan and then make whatever from the scan, they may be able to do that so give them a call.

Posted: 04-24-2020 03:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
noomg

metal144,

At first I was never a fan of Malaga blue, but I gotta say it's really growing on me. One thing I always recommend, that I wish someone had recommended to me, is while it's still fresh talk to the seller and get as much info as you can: how long has he had it, where did he get, what did he do to it, the list goes on.

When I bought my J-H, through Auto Trader, I went to the guy's house, looked it over, took it for a quick spin, we agreed on a price, off I went. After the transaction I wish I had stopped and had a conversation with the guy about what he knew of the history.

Current time is 03:10 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > 1974 Jensen Project Vin16281 Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems