Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Delco alternator  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-29-2018 02:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JH73

I recently had a generator failure on my 1973 Jensen...It currently has a Delco Remy on it from England...Is is worth rebuilding or should I just purchase a new or remanufacture one?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-29-2018 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
allstateguy

Last edited on 06-30-2018 02:04 pm by allstateguy

Posted: 06-29-2018 04:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Esprit2

If there's an automotive electric repair shop near you, then have it rebuilt. That usually costs around $100.

If you buy a re-manufactured alternator from an auto parts store, 'somebody' rebuilt it, then the store adds their profit margin, so you pay more to get the same thing. If you're thinking of going with re-manufactured, then consider 're-built' locally. That's what I do.

New is new, and you pay the price.

Generally speaking, re-manufacturers rebuild them stock.

If you have it re-built locally, talk to the guy when you drop it off. Ask him if he can coax a few more amps out of it. There are usually other rectifiers and bits that can be installed, and most local re-builders will 'hot-rod' it if you ask them to. A 35 amp alternator doesn't suddenly become a 70 amp, but it might become 45 amp. Sometimes a little more is nice to have... like when the headlights, radiator fan, heater fan, wipers & radio are all going at once.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Posted: 06-30-2018 04:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Max_dvdt

I understand that this is a non-original parts suggestion.

But we recently adapted a ACDelco 335-1095

We had to make a new pulley and bracket but the wiring while not plug and play is 4 pin and compatible, the ignition light works correctly...

100amps 100 dollars BRAND NEW

I have a supply of the pulleys that I made
But I have not made any spare brackets (I wasn't entirely happy with the geometry - it works but could be better)

I'd be happy to part with a pulley, but I can't make any brackets for a bit - my mill is cutting plastic right now.

Posted: 06-30-2018 10:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
JH73

Thanks for the information...I took the alternator to a local shop. If he cannot get parts I will have to buy a replacement....Also, has anyone eliminated the battery cable location and run it directly to the starter solenoid.

Posted: 06-30-2018 03:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Frank Schwartz

The alternator on my son's 74 JH failed on a Jensen rallye trip and we found an exact replacement at O'Rielly's....not expensive and with a Lifetime Warranty..I forget the part number, but if you take yours to them and have a clerk willing to dig for you, you just might find it..something like 71035 or like that part number (memory fades with age).

Oddly for two hundred miles, every parts store we tried, listed it, did not have it on hand, but said, "we can get it overnight for you".. We made it home and the O'Riellys just a mile from our home had it in stock...

Try it...you've nothing to lose..
Frank

Posted: 07-01-2018 12:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Rick in Miami

I replaced mine with a Ford Fiesta 55 amp unit - part # 13107A. Pretty much plug and play. Be sure to get the one with the v-belt pulley.

Posted: 07-01-2018 02:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Frank Schwartz

That's interesting...plug and play??? I'll have to check that out for future use...

Frank

Posted: 07-02-2018 05:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
redracer

For all of you upping the amperage output, please remember to put extra an 10 gauge(as came with the harness) wire or larger gauge depending on how much the alternator can put out.
The original earlier Delco with the 35 amp output used just one 10 gauge wire whereas the later Lucas ones with 43 amps had 2 of the 10 gauge wore and yes, used the positive solenoid post for the return.
best of luck, bruce

Current time is 02:31 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Delco alternator Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems