Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Heater Tap location type etc

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Heater Tap location type etc  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-25-2018 09:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
stuartmorgan

Hi Gang

I'm just trying to see what they have done on my car regarding the heater tap

Can anyone send a pic, location of and best replacement type that goes straight back in the standard plumbing

My car is a RHD 73. Is From what I can read, the switch on top of heater box plenum is a VAC switch opening the valve? or heater Tap. Is it at end of hose behind rear of rocker under that engine gas strut mount? or is it back up front toward water pump?
I need to see if A) its still there and hasnt been by passed and B) if not , that it is still working!
Else I need to get one as close to function as stock one so I can get it in

Also, while Im on a roll, can you still get VAC switches for top of plenum and

the heater fan is running, all speeds I think, but Im sure I can blow harder...

Any help appreciated gang
Cheers
Stu

Last edited on 06-25-2018 09:51 am by stuartmorgan

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-25-2018 12:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

First off don't expect to much from the fan, it's two speeds, slow and slower. Next the heater valve is midway along the frame rail sharing a bolt with the valve cover. As for the vac valve on the heater box, I don't think they are any longer available, but at one time I recall reading a vac valve from a Ford Mustang was Identical, don't know personally, cost was somewhere around $50/$60. Your probably better off just sticking a manual valve in the line then relaying on the vac valve.
Brett

Posted: 06-25-2018 02:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Frank Schwartz

I think Bruce Madden still has a few NOS vacuum operated original heater valves.....ask him.
Frank

Posted: 06-28-2018 07:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
NigelK

Hi Stu

There should be a vacuum line (with an anti-return valve in it) running from a t-piece in the vacuum line between the inlet manifold and the brake servo, to the vacuum switch mounted on the side of the heater box. You can find this switch in the passenger footwell (in an RHD car). A second vacuum line runs from the vacuum switch to the heater valve mounted on the exhaust cam cover. The vacuum switch is activated by the heater slider in the centre console. Not all J-Hs have the heater valve, it was fitted to later cars to reduce heat soak into the cabin. If the vacuum pipes are connected the wrong way round at the vacuum switch, the heater valve will not work. Try connecting them to the vacuum switch both ways round. The heater valve is a Jaguar XJS part, easy to find on eBay and elsewhere. Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Nigel

Posted: 07-02-2018 05:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
redracer

Stuart: the '73 models(at least in the USA) did NOT have any water valve shut-off. Sometime in '74, Jensen did put a vacuum controlled valve in the return line which waas attached to the upper middle exhaust cam cover bolt. A "T" with a one-way valve was added to the brake booster vacuum line and inside the mounted on the left side of the metal heater box was the mechanically controlled switch for the valve(pushing the upper sliding lever all the way to "COLD" will contact the small vacuum switch).
These extra parts are really not worth spending the time and money as opposed to just installing a cable to whatever valve(similar to the "CHOKE" cable).
best wishes, bruce

Current time is 10:09 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Heater Tap location type etc Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems