Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
74 J-H #14677 Custom- Reserection  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-10-2018 06:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
oldschool1977

First course of action on the 2.0 build is to give her a diet, and to bring back some of that J-H styling I have been missing. over 350lbs is plate and tube steel and 1-2" thick bondo was removed. The fenders came from the donor car.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-14-2018 04:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
oldschool1977

The crate motor coming out nice and smooth.

I was never really happy with the way the motor sat in the car so after I pulled the crate motor I went ahead and reworked the Motor mounts slightly to lower the engine down some.

The new motor sits down a pretty good bit compared to the first attempt.

It looks like with some work I can get the hood patched up and back to looking normal-ish.

Last edited on 04-14-2018 04:21 pm by oldschool1977

Posted: 04-14-2018 04:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
oldschool1977

Just for those that are curious.

The new motor is a 406ci Small block Chevy stroker. Should push close to 400-450hp respectfully.

The transmission is a TCI performance rebuild.

I have taken a couple drives down the drive way with the car and the brakes are not even close to adequate to stop the car any longer. The 4 piston caliper kit is on order to replace the stock calipers now.

Quick walk around with the new motor running:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWHK4mZJ898

Posted: 06-01-2018 03:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
oldschool1977

New Brakes are in, on, and bled. Perfect stopping power... only thing left to do is take it to the track and have some test and Tune time.

Posted: 06-02-2018 02:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Frank Schwartz

Fascinating what you have done. I'm really curious about the brakes. Are they simply a "bolt on" set or did you have to modify anything...and where did you get them?

Thanks
Frank

Posted: 06-02-2018 03:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Tom Bradley

Apparently these brake calipers are available as a bolt-on. Not cheap, tho.
http://3d1e61.36.ekmpowershop.net/jensen-healey-brake-caliper-kit-6578-p.asp

Posted: 06-02-2018 04:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Frank Schwartz

You are right...quite pricey...
I bought a set for my Jensen Interceptor from another manufacturer over in the UK and they were about 800 dollars.
Now, I wonder if you can tell me how much improvement those you bought have made.
Thanks

Posted: 06-04-2018 07:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
oldschool1977

Frank Schwartz wrote: You are right...quite pricey...
I bought a set for my Jensen Interceptor from another manufacturer over in the UK and they were about 800 dollars.
Now, I wonder if you can tell me how much improvement those you bought have made.
Thanks

The link Tom provided are the ones I bought. BCC- British Classic Cars, It's a bolt on kit with minor modification to the backing plate, Had to shave 1/4" off the bottom. They are not cheap by any means, but with the stock brakes I wasn't stopping so I needed something.

My entire brake system was new when I put the car together, hoses, lines, calipers rebuilt with new pistons, new master and booster ect. With the 250hp 350ci running at 98mph in the 1/4 I didn't slow down enough to exit the track till the last exit (3rd exit), nearly an 1/8 of a mile to slow safely enough to make a turn. Normal every day driving they worked great without a single issue. With the 406ci motor everyday driving the brakes would grip and would have been fairly adequate as long as I didn't find myself in a heavy braking situation. But under power the brakes would cause the car to spin (one side would heat up so bad it released).

With the BCC brakes (3hr install including bleeding the brakes), at the track I can make the first exit off the strip after a 102mph 1/4 mile pass. Everyday driving is smooth as glass on the braking. I did some power and fast stop tests and my 5pt harness nearly bruised my shoulders, the braking is as near instant as anyone would want them.

So long winded, but I wanted to give an honest overlook on what my findings with them are. Could a hopped up J-H with the Lotus 4 get by with the stock brakes and a Dot4 synthetic fluid, I would think comfortably so. But if your really putting major power to the pavement the BCC caliper kit is a phenomenal bang for the buck.

Posted: 06-04-2018 07:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
oldschool1977

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YtpUWEEre4

The J-H Vs some Dodge SRT... Not sure it was even a fair deal.

Posted: 06-05-2018 02:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
oldschool1977

Decided to throw some color on the car for the season.

Then off to the test and tune.

The test and tune went pretty well, it was around 100F outside and on the track I'm sure it was hotter than that. Perfect conditions for a test and tune to see what the car is really going to do. While it ran the speed and number I wanted it did get much hotter than I would have liked. Without the big hole in the hood the hot air is just sitting in the engine bay and the car won't start to cool until the hood is opened. Time to do some clever modifications.

Posted: 06-16-2018 02:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
oldschool1977

First order of business was to get some cooler air into the carb. Due to the low hood clearance I needed to make an aircleaner myself. Not pretty but it is very functional and draws air from outside the engine compartment. I'll clean it up after the races next weekend if it performs well.

Next was to address the heat not flowing out of the engine compartment fast enough until the hood is opened. Fairly simple fix to this was a few 1" holes.

The holes really wont be effective enough unless I can draw more outside air into the radiator and engine compartment to keep the flow going in the first place. Unfortunately the air dam from Delta isn't currently available. So I needed to make something myself. Again not very pretty, but if it functions well I'll dress it up.

Current time is 10:53 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > 74 J-H #14677 Custom- Reserection Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems