Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
73 interior  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-15-2018 12:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
rbcnewfield

I have a 73 with the original floor mats as opposed to carpeting. My question is what trims the transmission tunnel? Mine came with nothing covering the tunnel below the console.

Attachment: IMG_3446 (1).JPG (Downloaded 119 times)

Last edited on 03-18-2018 04:14 pm by rbcnewfield

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-19-2018 01:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
DonBurns

Maybe not the most becoming photo, but the transmission tunnel is typically carpeted to just below the level of the rubber mats.

Attachment: JH_Tunnel.JPG (Downloaded 116 times)

Posted: 03-19-2018 02:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
rbcnewfield

Thanks for the reply. The tunnel is simply covered with carpet? There are a couple braces/brackets welded to the drivers side of the tunnel, I was wondering if there were any backing to the carpet that may incorporate the brackets?

Posted: 03-19-2018 03:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
DonBurns

The original carpeting does have a fiber backing, but I think new carpet kits may not include this - just heavier carpeting. I could be wrong on that, but I don't remember the fiber mats with my new carpet kit. I am currently replacing the main wiring harness and I think the only purpose of the brackets you are probably referring to are to route the wiring going along the tunnel first to the cigarette lighter then to the seat and seatbelt sensors, which most people don't use anymore.

Posted: 03-19-2018 04:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
redracer

The tunnel had the heavy "horsehair" under the carpet(as does the fuel tank which most of us have removed since it held water and caused the bottom of the tank to rust). The footwells(front and rear) had the foam rubber with a plastic piece on on side and then the floor mats. Most of us have cut the rear mat just forward of the rear seat channel(where the seat bolts down) so one can easily remove it to dry out.
POR15, Mastercoat, KBS are some excellent products to protect from rust.

Posted: 03-19-2018 05:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
allstateguy

Rust Encapsulator from Eastwood is also good. After I cleaned the scale off the front floors, I used it before laying in two plies of glass cloth with resin to keep the floors solid for another 50 years. Then self-adhesive rubber with aluminum skin. Then the original JH rubber mats with Lloyd carpet mats on top. Keeps it quiet and snug.

Posted: 08-02-2018 05:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
noomg

My '74 came with a jute insulation(for heat and sound) under the carpet. I'm not there yet, but when I get to the interior I'm going to start with a base of Dyna-mat.

Current time is 02:50 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > 73 interior Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems