Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Auto gearbox on a J-H or GT

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Auto gearbox on a J-H or GT  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-03-2017 11:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
chrisl

At the risk of being branded a heretic, has anyone converted a J-H or a GT to automatic?

I think the GT in particular would lend itself to it, simply because I think it's more of a cruiser than a speedster.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-03-2017 02:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

I did see a GT at the Atlanta show put on by Frank Schwartz in 2004 that was a auto, but it also had a nissan engine as well, haven't seen a Lotus one though.

Posted: 12-03-2017 05:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Esprit2

I've never seen a JH converted to automatic, but Lotus did offer a 907/ Borg-Warner 3-spd auto combination in the Series 1 Elite & Eclat. Salvaging parts from one of those might be the easy way to go. Not many were built, but try contacting Lotusbits in the UK... it's worth a shot. However, the low-torque 907 and the automatic were not a match made in heaven, and the result was a performance-slug.

A better choice would be the 160 Hp 912LC & automatic used in the S2.2 Elite-Eclat. Better yet would be the 180 Hp 912HC/ auto used in the 1986-onward Excel SA ('A' for automatic).

Or just follow the Atlanta car's lead, and swap in an engine/automatic lump from some other brand... like the Nissan. Originality is out the window anyway, so why worry about forcing the stock, low compression JH 907 into duty it's ill-prepared to perform.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 12-03-2017 05:51 pm by Esprit2

Posted: 12-04-2017 12:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
chrisl

The thought I had was that the GT is more of a cruiser than out and out speedster. Mine has Dellorto carbs on it but I'm thinking about converting back to Strombergs for the smoother progression.

The 5 speed gearbox I have is fine. It leaks a small amount of oil but not many 40 y.o cars don't. I prefer the 4 speed on my J-H for out and out fast driving.

The J-H and the GT shared some subframe components with the Vauxhall Viva etc (= General Motors = Holden down here) and which was sold locally as the HB Torana. It's not hard to get an HB Torana engine and auto gearbox, the fun part is fitting it and all the other modifications required... Which makes me think if I do anything, I may as well go the whole hog and fit (eg) a Rover V8 and its auto.

Posted: 06-20-2019 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
roverman

RV8 and it's auto, Now Ur Talkin ! Why stop there, I'm machining custom bell housings for RV8 to AW4,(Jeep/etc./etc). Should fit nicely, no computer required and about 30% OD. roverman.

Current time is 01:24 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Auto gearbox on a J-H or GT Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems