Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Trans fluid  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-01-2017 07:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jomac

Trans fluid for 5 speed transmission, manual specs out 20w/50 motor oil?
Also , specs 80 weight. What are others using?
Little more info on what I am using. Pentosin mtf2 Sae 75w-80 apl gl-4
Trans oil, this fluid is made in Germany for european cars with zf or getrag manual trans from 1997 on. My main problem i get speratic difficult shifting it comes and goes, especially during cold weather. I thought it could be the trans fluid, I sprayed the linkage with lithium grease. But I thinking it could be the shift linkage felt pad at the end of the linkage arm has collapsed and it’s not pushing on the trans shift link.
Any thoughts welcomed.

Last edited on 12-08-2017 05:29 pm by jomac

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-01-2017 08:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Frank Schwartz

No..as I understand it.... The 4 speed takes the 20W50,,but the 5 speed take the ubiquitous 90W rear end type of oil

Frank

Posted: 12-03-2017 05:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Esprit2

Frank, I don't know what JH's spec is for the 5-speed, so I'm not disagreeing with you as much as asking for clarification.

Not all gear oils are created equal. Those that carry an API GL-4 rating are intended for synchromesh transmissions. It is synchro-friendly both in terms of frictional characteristics and chemical compatibility with the brass/ bronze bits that are usually present. IMHO, Redline MT-90 is one of the best GL-4 gear oils.

Gear oils that carry an API GL-5 rating are anti-friction, anti-wear formulations intended for the hypoid ring & pinion gears often used in a rear axle. Old school GL-5 oils typically used sulfur-based anti-wear additives that are incompatible with copper and it's alloys, brass & bronze.

Some synchro transmissions (usually transaxles that combine synchros and hypoid gears in one housing) do specify GL-5. In that case it's usually a compromise between reduced gear wear and increased synchro chemical erosion. Both wear and erosion take time to occur, so what was the engineer's priority for this application?

The JH 5-speed does specify a gear oil instead of a motor oil, that's a given. But is it the same as the rear axle gear oil, or a different 'transmission' gear oil? I don't know. I'm asking.

Some modern full-synthetic gear oils carry a dual GL-4/ GL-5 rating. They use superior base oils along with non-sulfur anti-wear additives to meet the needs of both ratings in one blend. That might be the better option.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 12-03-2017 05:26 pm by Esprit2

Posted: 12-03-2017 09:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Frank Schwartz

Definitely not 20W50. This is from a Factory Bulletin:

The correct oil for the five-speed transmission is 80 EP gear oil. The 1975 owner's manual and Workshop manual, Fourth Edition (93010) , incorrectly specify 20/50W engine oil. Use of the 20/50W is not detrimental, but will result in a higher noise lever.
Dealers should therefore inform customers of retailed vehicles of the correct oil type. Existing Handbooks (Page30) and the Workshop Manual (Page16) should be amended to reflect the correct oil recommendation.

Current time is 04:20 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Trans fluid Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems