Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Wheels  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-28-2005 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
SportsRodder

If you look at the axel and hub flanges you will see they are thincker where bolt holes are drilled so redrilling them would result in a weakness in the flange.  Anyone who has seen their wheel and tire rolling down the highway knows it is not a good feeling.  Besides spacing the wheel and tire out 1" doesn't cause any interference problems and results in better performance as well as  looks.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-29-2005 08:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Jim Sohl

Are the numbers any where near close for an order?? I'm in, hope it helps.

Posted: 08-30-2005 02:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Tony Hollart

While I strip back and polish the original wheels for my Jensen, I have the car on a set of old fashion steel wheels with chrome trim, kind of retro look. See attached photo

Attachment: steel wheels.JPG (Downloaded 171 times)

Posted: 08-30-2005 07:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Tom Thomson

Actually Sport, if you will take a look at axel (axle) and hub flanges you will discover that there are no thinck (thick) spots at all.  The axle flange has been machined both sides to a constant thickness of .327".  The front hub has one side machined and one side as cast so the thickness, while constant, may vary within the casting tolerance allowed by Jensen: mine check .305".

Tom - 13753 

Posted: 09-07-2005 01:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
jensen4u

Hello all,

I am just curious about a few things so please help me out. Where are we at with this tread? Is there any plan to move forward with wheels? What has been the result of this discussion?

Thanks,

Brad

Posted: 09-09-2005 12:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
jensen4u

Anyone,

It has been a few days and I have no feedback as to where we stand on a production run of wheels for the JH. I am looking to purchase new wheels for my JH and need some direction. I really do not want to wait a year for Panasports from Delta. Someone, please provide me some advise or direction.

Thanks,

Brad

Posted: 09-14-2005 12:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Dave

I would love this to work out, but I'm not comfortable that this is going the way it should, it seems like too much guess work and not enough engineering. I would be interested if I heard that Konig would get in touch with a Jensen Healey owner local to them and state that they would fit the wheels to an actual car and guarantee that they would fit and work to spec. Even better, if this is the deal it looks like it might be, I would be willing to pay more to go through Delta and see a professional work this out with Konig. What about it Jim?

Dave

By the way, thanks Rob for the great leg work to get this started!

Posted: 09-14-2005 12:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Waiting for Jim to read this thread may not be very practical. I'm sure he'd be happy to chat on the phone however. Look guys- you own a car that is considered pretty rare. If there's no money in it, why will someone spend the time to save you, the owner, a few bucks? Konig doesn't care about our problems and they certainly won't guarantee a wheel will fit our car if we give them the wrong specs.

A nobel task indeed, trying to get a group purchase together. The reality is that trying to get a group of Jensen owners to agree on anything is like herding cats. It can be gone, but it ain't easy. I'd even be interested in some of these wheels for my own car, but a run for 20 cars and owners with cash in hand? That will be a tough number to meet.

Delta will have Panasports in stock one of these days. Don't blame them for the back order- JH's are low on the priority list for Panasport.

Posted: 10-30-2005 06:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
CAPT.GRIZZ

the zero offset seems about right if the other information I have read is correct offset should be 1/4' or less  If the price is truley $100 per wheel I am in even if $125 per wheel it is a fair price and Konigs are very good wheels for the money.

Posted: 11-07-2005 10:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
dbarton62

ok guys

having read the posts in "tires" and "wheels"........thought i might add my 2 cents

the stock rim has a 3.5" backspace???........

there are some guys running 205/60/13 tires that measure 23"tall,7" tread width and 8" section width

i have installed 17" wheels on 2 british cars in the past(69 marcos and 74Tvr(see attatched).......with great results both visually and performance wise

so take a 205/40/17 tire ,it measures23.4" tall,7.4"T.W.and 8.6"S.W........the difference in measurements are negligible and you get superior handling and more readily available tires KUMHO ECSTA712 are $66 ea at tire rack.go one step further and put a 215 or 225/40 on the rear!!

is this a little too far out.........i don't think so ........i think the JH would look amazing with big wheels and lo-profile tires....... 

PROS/CONS ?????!!!!

Dave

Attachment: db2.jpg (Downloaded 557 times)

Posted: 03-07-2006 03:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Paul Koehler

Does anybody want to try beating this dog again, or should we let sleeping dogs lie?

There has got to be 19 other owners needing/wanting new wheels. The cruising season is almost upon us (at least here in the Northeast), and the Panasports certainly are not getting any cheaper. What say you all.

PK

Posted: 03-07-2006 12:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
jensen4u

I would be interested.

Posted: 04-07-2006 04:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
colinw59

I'm looking to put a set of these Superlite wheels  on #15851 when she's done. They will cost me around $120 (incl. shipping)  more than having the OEM rims stripped, painted and re-turned. I don't like the originals, they're ugly and don't compliment the car well. For the extra money I'd rather have what I like, keep one OEM rim for the spare (wrapped in a black bag of course) and sell the other 4 on Ebay to help recoupe some of the cost. Does anyone have any experience with these rims?

These rims come in numerous sizes and finishes. Check them out at:-

http://packracingproducts.com/acatalog/13__Superlite_Wheels.html

Superlite Wheel, 13"x6", 4x4", 13mm+, Platinum

[url=javascript:ShowPopUp('info%5fSUP136440013PP%2ehtml',400,350);]

Posted: 04-07-2006 06:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
73healey

Let us know how you like them when they arrive.

They look great

Jim 10646

Posted: 04-08-2006 12:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
Jim Sohl

Just a note of caution, most (nearly all) worldwide auto manufactures have stopped shipping 13" wheels as original equipment.  As a result, with each successive model year, the market for 13" rubber gets smaller.  Result?  The selection of 13" performance tires gets smaller all the time.  Tire manufactures just have little incentive to make 13" tires.  I have some 13 X 7.5 rims and the choices are relatively few compared to the huge selection at sizes 15" and up.

If you have identified some interesting 13" tires, please post!

Thanks and good luck
Jim

Posted: 04-09-2006 04:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
greenthing

Hi guys, how about these? The bolt pattern is good, how about the offset?

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/details.asp?wheelid=224&name=Silverstone%20T%20with%20Teflon%AE&style=40T&desc=1-piece%20painted%20alloy&section=N

I do not know about technical aspects, sp please bare with me.

Greg Parris

BTW what does backspace mean?

Attachment: b40T.jpg (Downloaded 395 times)

Last edited on 04-09-2006 04:05 pm by greenthing

Posted: 04-09-2006 05:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Ron Earp

for guys just looking for wider tires - 225-45/50-13 DO fit on the stock wheels with 5.5" rim width and the 13" Panasports with 6" rim width. Mean looking too, and with Hoosier tires the footprint is actually 235 to 245 since Hoosier always does that with their R compounds to help out the racers limited to a width, sort of built in cheating. If you want to put some on yYou have to go to a shop that is used to mouting race tires to mount them because it is a difficult thing to do and will lead to some cussing from your tire man. I'll post some pictures later of what the wheel/tire looks like.

Here is a shot from the rear of the 225 on the 13" Panasports. You could even go a little larger, but no larger tire will fit on the wheel, the 225s are a severe hassle. It'll be enough tire for a 2200lb car anyhow.

http://www.gt40s.com/images/jensen/reartire.JPG

And the tire itself on wheel. They are R compound tires, but work great on the street, just be really, really, really careful if it rains. However, one could run Toyo RA1s which have almost as much stick and do have some tred pattern, sort of.

http://www.gt40s.com/images/jensen/tire.JPG

And that lying on the background is a generic wheel spacer, 1/4" inch thick. Don't be afraid of using them - if those didn't exist or work then 1/2 the race cars running in SCCA would crash, burn, or the wheels would fly off. That doesn't happen and the spacers are great for getting a little extra track width or getting a wheel to fit right.  Since we suspect some henious understeer (push if you prefer) from the welded rear differential we are going for a bit of extra front track width to help out with that slightly.

R

Last edited on 04-10-2006 12:42 am by Ron Earp

Posted: 04-10-2006 08:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Harkes

Hi Ron,

looks FAB! i know you are not interested in the larger rims, but what would run or what do you think is possible on the JH? 15", 16" or 17" may be? (one of the guys in this thread puts 17" on)

other question: i see all kinds of bars and x-frame around the back axle. Can you tell us what they are for? You don't seem to be using the "traditional" sway bar DMS sells.

How are the billsteins? I have those too, but since i'm not yet back on the road i was wondering how they perform

good luck.

erik

Posted: 04-10-2006 09:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Ron Earp

Personally, I would not go for larger wheels for my street or race car.  Why? Well, larger wheels are generally going to increase in diameter and numercally lowering your final drive - 3.75  to a 3.5 is not uncommon going up a few inches.  Acceleration suffers and the 907 needs torque multiplicaiton.  Badly. 

Secondly, and this is a bigger reason, larger wheels means more weight, more unsprung weight, and the result is a much less sharper handling car.  I'd stick with as small as you can get away with and these little 13s, with Hoosier race tires, will generate in excess of well over 1g.  Heck, smallers ones, 205s, on Miatas at a little bit higher weight can generate over 1.1-1.2g on track.  I imagine the JH will do the same if I can get the nastyness of the welded diff tamed.

A standard sway bar won't do well in racing and we only have the modified one on there to offer some tunablity - we're hoping stiff as hell in the rear will result in some oversteer and counteract the push the welded diff will impart.  The other stuff you see is a panhard rod to locate the axle from side to side - there is nothing that really does this besides the four link in the JH and that is inadaquate.  You can see another picture here:

http://www.gt40s.com/images/jensen/diff.JPG

Pan hard comes across, is anchored to the frame, and makes sure the axle doesn't go left or right - reduces load on the lower trailing arms and mounts too, which is a good thing given how flimsy they are.

Posted: 05-10-2006 12:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
jcdean

Just an FYI.

Called Delta yesterday and they are quoting $230.00 and 4 months delivery on 15x7 Panasports.  Looks like a great way to spend my Birthday and Christmas money.  I need to be very. very good this year.

Joey

Current time is 04:56 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Wheels > Wheels Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems