Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Speedometer  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-20-2017 11:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jomac

My speedo stopped working , so I bought a new cable. I tested the speedo installed with an electric drill replacing the trans pinion connection. The speedo worked fine. After connecting the cable to the trans speedo pinion
I test drove , my speedo is stuck at 5 or 10 mph , but my odometer
Works but not the speedo? Do I need a new pinion or what? Has any one have a clue?

Update 9/21--- I tried to remove the speedo pinion but only the bushing would come out , the square hole for cable was good, I tested the speedometer with a drill and it only vibrates, I test drove and now the odometer doesn't work , I disconnected the cable and left it hanging to see it spins while driving, it did not. ! So , now I have two problems both the speedometer and possibly the speedo wheel inside the trans. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
9/21 pm update, after taking the pinion out again I found that it was not seated correctly, so I'll test drive again. Well tested without cable attached pinion is turning, great, but trip odometer works but no speedo, looks like a new vdo speedometer if can't find someone to repair it. Any feed back is appreciated.
Update 9/24.. found scottspeedometer.com local shop to fix speedo.

Last edited on 09-25-2017 02:24 am by jomac

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-21-2017 09:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Rick in Miami

This guide to Smith & Jaeger Speedo repair may be helpful
http://obshttp://www.unige.ch/~wildif/cars/docs/Smith-jaeger_speedo_repair.pdf

Posted: 12-09-2017 01:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jomac

Speedo update. Got the speedo serviced at scottspeedometer.com. They’re in Pontiac Michigan. Speedo needed only a good cleaning, I did 2 of them . Cost was 40 - 50 bucks each. Great and quick service.

Current time is 08:47 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Speedometer Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems