Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Auxiliary housing shaft circlip

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Auxiliary housing shaft circlip  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-20-2017 07:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jim Ketcham

I am having a problem on a new 2.2l conversion where the circlip on the aux. housing shaft that holds the timing belt gear slips back out of the groove after a few hours of operation. I have replaced the circlip with a spare and the problem reoccurred. Visual examination of the groove as compared to one on a spare shaft does not reveal any issues. The cam and aux. shaft gears are new htd gears from Lotus Bits. Belt appears to ride nicely in the middle of the cam gears and engine runs great. Has anybody experienced this problem? I am thinking of pinning the gear to the shaft to keep it from riding back. Am I treating a symptom or solving a poor design issue? I have done 2 other 2.2 conversions and have never experienced this problem.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-21-2017 04:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
redracer

Some of the aftermarket cam wheels did not have a chamfer on at least one of the hole to "capture" the circlip. Hopefully the other side of the wheel does or else you will need to have one put on or send it back to the seller for chamfering.

Posted: 07-21-2017 05:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Esprit2

Jim,
The Auxiliary pulley is to be mounted with Loctite, and it should require the heat of a propane or MAPP gas torch to remove it. I've not seen this written in Lotus manuals, but I've found Loctite in many factory-virgin Lotus 9XX engines I've taken apart.

The little wire circlip is not a very solid abutment, with or without the chamfer in the pulley. If the pulley doesn't over-ride the circlip, then it can at least become loose to the point that it can wobble back-n-forth against the Woodruf key in response to engine power pulses. I've had three aux pulleys wear the keyway until it was over 0.50" wide in the middle (yes, half an inch or more). Viewed from either side, the ends of the keyway looked normal. But remove it and look into the bore, and the keyway was very wide.

I first experienced this on a 907 engine I had rebuilt, but had not used Loctite on the Aux pulley. It was having ignitiion timing issues... it was jumping all over the place. I'd re-set the static timing, and it would change again in very short order. It was a long witch-hunt that drove me nuts until it finally ended with the discovery of the worn, wide keyway. Replacing the aux pulley solved the ignition-scatter problem. But the problem returned in less than a year, because I didn't use Loctite... again. The next pulley went on with Loctite, and the problem never returned. Given the amount of surface area in the pulley bore, Blue Threadlocker will suffice.

By the way, if the Woodruf key is off to the side in the wide notch, then it's locked in behind the normal narrow width end of the slot. That was another mystery that really complicated pulling the sprocket off the aux shaft.

It was after that experience that I started to notice that Auxiliary pulleys on Lotus 9XX engines were Loctited on, and required heat to remove. For threads, Blue Loctite doesn't require heat. But the pulley is aluminum, and trying to pull a Loctited pulley off without heat will often result in distortion of the spokes, or fracture. Heat it up until you see bubbling at the joint line between the shaft and bore.

The cam pulleys are clamped firmly against a solid shoulder, they don't get loose, and they don't experience that keyway wear problem. Only Auxiliary pulleys clamped against the little circlip get loose.

Cam pulleys should be installed with Anti-Seize.

Auxiliary pulleys should be installed with Loctite. Just the bore... avoid getting it in the keyway in either the bore or the shaft.

*~*~*~*
When using heat to remove an aux pulley, be very careful not to fry the lip seal that is right behind the pulley. Wwrap a wet rag around the stub of shaft that's exposed between the pulley and the aux housing, covering the seal. Then direct the flame or heat gun onto the hub, from the back side shooting forward.

Regards and Good Luck,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 07-21-2017 08:23 pm by Esprit2

Posted: 07-21-2017 06:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jim Ketcham

Tim and Bruce,
I was hoping for responses from you.
Good info. I will check chamfer ( compare it to oem 907 pulley) and reassemble with loctite. I am surprised I have not bumped into this issue before. I guess I've been lucky.
Thanks for the advice.
Jim

Posted: 07-21-2017 08:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Esprit2

Apply the Loctite to the pulley bore. Maybe just a very little bit on the shaft, wiping most of it back off... ie, just a thin 'primer' to ensure the shaft is wetted. Rub it in, wipe it off.

The goal is to avoid having the pulley scrape a wave of Loctite off the shaft, and back onto the lip seal behind the pulley. Be careful, watch for it, and immediately wipe off any ooze that does occur. Don't goop the seal.

By putting a heavier application of Loctite inside the pulley bore, the shaft will scrape the excess forward out of the front of the bore, away from the seal. Wipe off any excess prior to installing the special washer and retaining bolt.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 07-21-2017 08:32 pm by Esprit2

Posted: 03-29-2019 03:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
CDA951

Hi everyone,
I finally had time to fire up the engine of #19250 after a lengthy rebuild (I will post more about this soon), and after less than a half-hour of running, I heard a metallic scraping noise from the front of the engine, and sure enough the auxiliary shaft pulley had pushed the circlip back and was rubbing on the aux shaft housing.
Thanks to Tim Engel and Bruce/redracer as always for the informative posts. To rectify the situation, I took a three-pronged approach: I bought a new circlip and woodruff key from JAE (great to have them here in town!), and Joe also found me a good used OE Lotus aux shaft/cam pulley.

I am having trouble attaching pictures, but the solid aftermarket pulley that was on the engine has a much narrower chamfer on the ID as Bruce mentioned. Check the Jensen Healey Facebook group for pics.

For extra insurance, I applied blue Loctite to the ID of the pulley as Tim suggested. Now all is well, except the timing belt does ride at the rear edge of the new/used OE pulley (it is exactly in the middle of the cam pulleys). I will play around with this and report back.

Thanks again,
Chris

Last edited on 03-29-2019 04:35 am by CDA951

Current time is 07:05 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Auxiliary housing shaft circlip Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems