Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Paint Codes  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-26-2017 08:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
gmgiltd

I'm looking for a modern equivalent paint to spray a door panel on my GT - the original colour is listed as both GIP26771/1 or GIP31099/M. None of the suppliers I have been in contact with recognise these codes or are able to cross reference them to any alternative. Has anyone come across this issue and able to help or provide any information.
Thanks in advance - Gordon

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-27-2017 05:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
NigelK

Hi Gordon

Hope you are keeping well. Glasurit have formulations for some of the ICI and Ault & Wiborg Jensen colours, but unfortunately Pine Green is not one of them. Another place to try could be Prospray, who have the original Jensen Nevis Blue colour formulation in a water-based paint. If you call them (+44 1767 314320), they might have the formulation for Pine Green as well. Failing that, you may need to get a spectroscopic match from the inside of the fuel filler cap and a couple of other painted places not exposed to the sun?

Best wishes,
Nigel

Posted: 03-27-2017 09:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
gmgiltd

Hi Nigel,

I tried taking the filler cap to a Porsche/Mercedes/Jaguar Land Rover approved repair shop but they said they couldn't get an accurate match because of the curvature. The car was resprayed by a former Jensen dealer in Banbury who are well known for setting themselves extremely low standards - and then failing to achieve them. The work they did on my car illustrates this point.

Will try giving Prospray a call tomorrow.

Different topic but I fully agree with your comments about Rejen - I had my interior done about four years ago in leather - the workmanship is very good and their seat bases really make a difference.

Best regards,
Gordon

Posted: 03-28-2017 07:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
NigelK

Hi Gordon

Another suggestion. The JOC colour guru suggested in a 2009 post that Jensen Pine Green is the same colour as Matra Simca Hudson Vert. Maybe you can get a sample in France from this place? http://code.peinturevoiture.fr/15024.html

Best wishes,
Nigel

Posted: 03-28-2017 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
gmgiltd

Thanks Nigel,
The Matra number 8391C was the key - have ordered from http://www.carcolourservices.co.uk - made up and delivered within two days. Will find out just how close the match is when I get back to France in a couple of weeks.
Gordon

Posted: 03-28-2017 02:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
NigelK

I'm very curious to know whether it's a match! Of course, a lot will depend on whether the "home of the Jensen" place in Banbury used a formulation close to the factory Pine Green formulation when they resprayed your GT. Out of interest, is the paint in your GT lacquered under the dashboard and under the bonnet? It's not lacquered in mine, and I'm wondering whether this was as-is from the factory or whether a PO didn't bother lacquering these parts during a previous respray.

Best wishes,
Nigel

Posted: 03-28-2017 02:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
gmgiltd

Hard to tell under the bonnet - because it's was painted if you can call it that by the Banbury brickies. I seem to remember that the first time I had the car sprayed in about 1986 they used cellulose - I managed to get new front and rear wings, front undertray, back panel and inner/outer sills just before Jensen in Kelvin Way, Birmingham closed so the whole car was painted then.
Gordon

Posted: 06-16-2020 09:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
browndog9

I have just recently acquired a 76 GT. It is also pine green and I wondered if you were happy withe the results of your endevor .

Posted: 06-20-2020 04:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
gmgiltd

Hi,
Not trying to be evasive but I have had the car since it was almost new and it's been resprayed three times. It's pretty hard to tell if the colour is exactly the same as original as dark green tends to fade. The last respray was done by Cropredy Bridge garage using two pack clear over base and seemed to be darker than previous. It will need to be done again by some one that is proficient at painting cars as opposed to garden sheds.
If the Matra olour is not exactly the same as original, it's pretty close and is what I will be using for respray number four.

Posted: 06-21-2020 01:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
browndog9

thanks

Current time is 09:03 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Paint Codes Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems