Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
more oil in my distributor  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-25-2017 09:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Bfitz241

As the title says, oil in the distributor....engine won't run well at all.
Please forgive my lack of familiarity with the 907 platform, but I did try searching and checked the service manual and still came up negative.

What exactly fails and allows the oil into the distributor?  Is it the distributor is worn out, is there a seal in the oil pump housing that fails?

I had installed a seal in my distributor, the McMaster Carr part, it lasted 717 miles.   I had changed the oil [used VR1 20w-50 if it matters] at 700 miles and the distributor failed in 17 miles.

Obviously this needs to be fixed.   I'm going to get a new distributor but is there something else that needs to changed.

thanks

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-26-2017 05:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Esprit2

There's only one route for oil into the distributor, and the seal should keep it out. Obviously, the seal has failed. The question would be "why?" Is it a bad seal, or is the shaft damaged/ corroded in a way that is quickly tearing up the seal. Either way, you need another seal.

Some distributor shops will argue against installing a seal at all. They point out that a lot of Britcars used the Lucas distributor, and none of them use a seal. But they all mount the distributor vertically, and oil runs down hill. The 907 is unique in mounting the distributor horizonntally, and it does require a seal.

Good luck,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 03-27-2017 04:57 pm by Esprit2

Posted: 03-26-2017 08:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Bfitz241

thanks........I will look into that...
I understand what you're saying about distributor rebuilders....  I had one highly touted distributor rebuilder tell me in no uncertain terms that the reason my distributor had oil in it was because my engine was worn out and it was generating too much crankcase pressure thereby forcing oil into the distributor.
It doesn't pay to try to talk to guys like that....I'll give my money to someone else.

Last edited on 03-26-2017 11:07 pm by Bfitz241

Posted: 04-02-2017 11:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Bfitz241

bought the distributor from the club store. Very happy with it. Runs very well.

Current time is 06:48 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > more oil in my distributor Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems