Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > oil cooler sandwich plate

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
oil cooler sandwich plate  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-02-2017 02:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Bfitz241

Please forgive my ignorance, but what holds the oil cooler sandwich plate in position?
I've read about the o ring behind it, but no mention of how it is tightened.
Thanks

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-02-2017 08:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
subwoofer

There is a male/female nut extending the centre channel (consumer side). It clamps the sandwich in place and provides threads for the filter (or the next sandwich if you have a separate one for sensors) to thread on to.

--
Joachim

Last edited on 02-02-2017 08:07 am by subwoofer

Posted: 02-02-2017 11:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Bfitz241

thanks, to make sure I understand you; on the side that the I screw the oil filter, there will be a hex that I can put a socket over to tighten the assembly, correct?

Posted: 02-03-2017 12:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Tom Bradley

On mine there never was a hex nut. The sandwich plate to the oil cooler is just held in place when the oil filter is installed. When the filter is removed, the plate can be removed as well. It has always worked OK. Maybe the nut was lost by the P.O.? The parts manual does not show any nut.

Posted: 02-03-2017 01:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Bfitz241

OK....as an alternative, is the centre of the attaching fitting machined as a hex so as to allow the use of an allen wrench to tighten it? I can't see the oil filter fitting just being screwed in by hand....then again it is British....I can see them using the filter as a nut to hold the whole mess together ...guess I should just pull the filter and get a mirror....Tomorrow's project...thanks for trying

Last edited on 02-03-2017 01:38 am by Bfitz241

Posted: 02-03-2017 03:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Tom Bradley

The extension fitting is just round, no hex machining. See pic below from the parts catalog. I never had a problem removing or replacing it by hand.

Attachment: oil filter diverter.jpg (Downloaded 59 times)

Posted: 02-03-2017 04:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Bfitz241

Thanks for the picture. So the oil filter holds the whole thing together...got it

Posted: 02-04-2017 01:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Esprit2

Bfitz241 wrote:
Thanks for the picture. So the oil filter holds the whole thing together...got it
Bingo !
Without the sandwich plate in place, there is a short length of threaded pipe screwed into the Auxiliary Housing. It's long enough to stick out 'about' one inch when fully seated. The oil filter screws onto that threaded stub, and tightens securely in place.

With the sandwich plate, that threaded stub is too short, and wouldn't stick out for the filter to thread on. So, it is first removed, then the male-female threaded extender, item 13 in the drawing above, is screwed into the Aux Housing. Then the original male threaded pipe is screwed into the adapter.

The extender/ adapter is approximately as long as the sandwich plate is thick. So with the S-plate in place, the male threaded stub still has about the same exposure it had without the S-plate. Spin the oil filter on and tighten it down. The oil filter then acts as the nut that pulls the assembly together, sealing the joints on both sides.

The oil filter has a square rubber O-ring that seals against the outside of the Sandwich Plate, and the S-Plate has a similar O-ring that seals against the Aux Housing. Both O-rings must be in place. The oil filter's O-ring is replaced along with each new oil filter. However, the sandwich plate's O-ring is often forgotten, allowed to age and then loses its effectiveness. It should also be replaced periodically.

Replacement O-rings are available from Delta Motorsports or Lotus vendors. Or, Brett Gibson reports that the O-ring from a Fram PH3682 filter is a match.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 07-28-2019 07:07 pm by Esprit2

Current time is 10:34 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > oil cooler sandwich plate Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems