Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Bfitz241

I'm just curious if anyone has deleted the oil cooler.  Is it really necessary?  Does this engine generate that much internal friction that it overheats its oil?
I would think the fins on the aluminum pan should be plenty.

dwalls1

I don't know if there's a direct connection between coolant temperature and oil temp, but if there is, the oil cooler is superfluous. I have the Delta shroud installed and the engine runs too cool in winter to get effective cabin heater operation. The oil cooler does look cool, though.

sunbeam2172

If it helps... I own a Sunbeam Lotus and recently removed the oil cooler, they didn't even fit them to the works rally cars !
The oil cooler kit was a very popular addition back in the day, but totally unnecessary for our UK climate, personally a three core rad is a much better investment.

Regards
Karl

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Well it's not like it add's to the weight of the car or anything, way I figure it for Jensen to add it to the car at what ever the cost, times 10,000 car's they must have thought it was necessary. That said to each their own, if you don't like it take it off.
One of the cars I bought came without it and I just happen to be rebuilding the engine, quite a few bearing surfaces and the oil pump show wear & scoring, was it due to the lack of the cooler ??? who knows, but it will have one back on when it hit's the road.
Brett.

Tim Murphy

IMO, the JH cooling as originally designed-two row radiator, no fan shroud-was totally inadequate for stop and go city driving in 100 degree F heat common during summer in much of the southwest US. I would guess the oil cooler was helpful in preventing some serious engine wear due to overheating.

The oil is heated not only by friction but also the combustion that takes place in each cylinder. Removing the oil cooler won't due much for performance (it doesn't weigh much) but may cause increased engine wear. Removing it is not worth the risk IMO.

gmgiltd

IMHO - Normally the optimum oil temperature should be in the range of 80-100C but most modern oils will tolerate up to 120C before oxidation starts to be a problem ( I use a Mocal oil thermostat which opens at 80C)
You need to keep in mind that the car was sold worldwide so the original design had to allow for a variety of of climates and types of use from city traffic jams in hot weather to cruising around in cool weather and everything in between. Also oil takes longer to warm properly than water typically 20 minutes instead of 5 minutes and correct oil temperature has a significant effect on its properties. Rule of thumb is that the idle oil pressure when properly warm will be much lower than from a cold start and gives a good indication that it has reached the correct temperature.
Gordon

Tim Murphy

Gordon, since you have installed an aftermarket oil cooler, I would think that you have done more research than most on oil temperature and oil coolers.

My recommendation to keep the oil cooler was essentially a guess. With you background, in regards to the original post, what would you recommend, keep or delete the oil cooler? There may be advantages to not having it that I am not aware of.

As far as I can determine, the best option is to do as you have done, install an aftermarket oil cooler with a thermostat.

Happy new year to all. Tim Murphy

Tom Bradley

One advantage of not having an oil cooler is that it makes oil changes much more efficient. There is a significant amount of oil in the hoses and cooler that does not get drained out through the drain plug in the engine and so does not get changed unless you also have a drain plug in the cooler.

dwalls1

I haven't considered that, but it makes sense. It doesn't seem like the cooler and lines would have a lot of oil in them, though.

gmgiltd

It's true that the standard cooler contains some oil - but this also helps in preventing the sump oil from reaching or exceeding the temperature at which it starts to oxidise and lose its capacity for bearing protection.
As stated earlier by Brett, Jensen would not have installed one if they had not deemed it necessary for the markets in which the car was sold.
Tim - My own view is that removing it would be a retrograde step, and enhancing it by fitting an oil stat is a good way of ensuring that the oil is at the optimum 80-100C range. The oil cooler is bypassed until the oil temperature reaches 80C so there is no risk of over cooling as per standard setup in cool weather.
In my own experience driving like a human on rural roads with a 90km/h limit in temperatures of between 10-20C the oil cooler does not warm very much. At higher ambient temperatures in the range of 20-30C on the autoroute with a 130km/h limit, after two hours the cooler gets too hot to touch - same for extended periods of stop and go during rush hour in a city.
Whatever you decide to do it makes sense to consider all the variables in how the car is used and that good oil temperature control is a very cost effective insurance.
Gordon

rovohn

I removed my oil cooler when I restored my GT as the lines were old and hard,I plan on reinstalling,just a matter of when.
Without the cooler even on hot days the temp guage sits in the middle and I have checked the temp with an infra red guage and the temp is around 180F
Cheers,John

CDA951

gmgiltd wrote: IMHO - Normally the optimum oil temperature should be in the range of 80-100C but most modern oils will tolerate up to 120C before oxidation starts to be a problem ( I use a Mocal oil thermostat which opens at 80C)
You need to keep in mind that the car was sold worldwide so the original design had to allow for a variety of of climates and types of use from city traffic jams in hot weather to cruising around in cool weather and everything in between. Also oil takes longer to warm properly than water typically 20 minutes instead of 5 minutes and correct oil temperature has a significant effect on its properties. Rule of thumb is that the idle oil pressure when properly warm will be much lower than from a cold start and gives a good indication that it has reached the correct temperature.
GordonHi Gordon,
Could you please provide details about which Mocal oil thermostat you used? I am hoping to find a sandwich adapter with built-in thermostat that fits the 907 engine. Otherwise, the hoses and cooler themselves are fairly universal parts.
Thank you,Chris

gmgiltd

Hi Chris,
Below is the link to where I got mine - you have two options - either the inline 5/8" or the sandwich plate type.
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s?search=+Mocal+thermostat
Because the oil cooler I used was slightly larger than standard I made up two brackets hung off the tube that has the bonnet catch with small rubber bobbins in all four corners. I used the inline stat, but in retrospect would probably consider the sandwich plate now.
Gordon

CDA951

Thank you, Gordon.

I believe I found the correct Mocal sandwich plate w/ 180 degree thermostat and the correct M18x1.5 oil filter adapter.

Because our engine is still out of the car and disassembled and did not originally have an oil cooler, can anyone tell me the approximate length of the factory JH oil cooler hoses?

Thanks in advance.

gmgiltd

Hi Chris,
On reflection the reason I went for the inline thermostat is that I am using a remote oil filter mounted on the inner wing - there is another thread on here regarding that. The advantages are the filter can be pre filled and no oil all over the engine during a filter change. Whether you decide to go that route or not I would suggest ( from experience ) that you trial fit the hoses before you get the cooler ends crimped to be certain that there is no load on cooler fittings.
Gordon

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems