Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
clock repair vendor?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-10-2016 10:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Bfitz241

Took the clock out, lubed it with some light machine oil and hooked it to power.  It works! But, the hands fell off the axle[?] stem[?] , whatever it is.
Anybody know if these things can be repaired or should I just block the hole and go on with life...
Thanks

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-11-2016 10:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Frank Schwartz

Hmmmm...if you have one of the digital radios, they have a clock that is easier to see and read...digital, of course.
Then you can leave the dead clock in the hole and consider it a conversation piece.

Actually, I do not know if there is a repair place for them, I have half dozen in my junk box from parted out JHs that had those little square devils that will not work, no matter how I cleaned them up or diddled with them....

The round VDO clock I put in my Interceptor went bad and it cost me more than a new one, I think, to get it repaired.

If you can make an adaptor or cover plate for a round clock, you can get nice ones that work very well at the car parts stores...reasonably priced, too.

Frank

Posted: 11-11-2016 10:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Bfitz241

you've got an Interceptor? I am green with envy....love anything with a big block...
I will take the round clock idea for serious consideration...
the car has some kind of pioneer radio...but I have the original Jensen 8 track radio...I'm tempted to have it fixed and reinstall it...decisions decisions

Posted: 11-11-2016 10:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Frank Schwartz

Yes, an interceptor and JH and MGA...and work on friends Jensens from time to time. I drive the Interceptor and my son, Mark , drives the JH...
You need to get yours on the road...happiness is driving a Jensen...

As for the clock, I really do not know where you can find square clocks to fit the car...which is why I suggested the round one...
Frank

Posted: 11-11-2016 10:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Bfitz241

love MGAs....good collection...good luck with it

hopefully get the carpet in tomorrow.....then get it registered before the end of the year....looking forward to driving it.

Last edited on 11-11-2016 10:34 pm by Bfitz241

Posted: 11-12-2016 01:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

There is a old old post and an article in the JHPS Standard about a member swapping the cuts of the clock with a battery operated one from Walmart. Might take a bit of a search but I'm sure it is there somewhere.

Brett

Posted: 11-12-2016 04:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Frank Schwartz

I remember that one...not a bad idea...uses standard AA pen cell which would only require replacement every few years or so...

Posted: 11-13-2016 05:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
answerman

I believe I do have a extra clock from one of my parts cars, can't vouch for whether it actually works or not but it is complete. I'll dig it up and apply 12V to it and see what it does.

In my "good car", I do have what is apparently one of the 18 working square JH clocks in the world. It loses about 2 minutes a week but otherwise works perfectly.

Last edited on 11-13-2016 06:17 am by answerman

Posted: 11-14-2016 04:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
answerman

Well, scratch that. I forgot that the parts car I was thinking of was a Mk I, which didn't have a clock. Sorry about that.

For what it's worth, I have a receipt from the PO for cleaning and repair of my clock, from a clock repair place, so I would think that they definitely can be repaired. Granted this was 15 years ago but I have to believe that old-time clock repair places must still exist.

Posted: 11-14-2016 10:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Frank Schwartz

Holy smokes...I have half dozen of those clocks that are DOA.

Wonder what that man charges?? Can you tell me if he is still in business and how to reach him??

Frank

Posted: 11-14-2016 10:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
answerman

Frank, I'll dig up that receipt and get his contact information. Like I said it was the PO that used his services, not me, and it was a while ago, but it's possible he's still around. I do seem to remember the receipt being for around $100 so it depends on what a working clock is worth, I guess.

Posted: 11-15-2016 05:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
answerman

According to the receipt I have from the previous owner, the clock was repaired/renovated by D&M Restoration in Greenville, SC. http://dandmrestoration.com/

Their price back in 2002 was $110.00 to take apart, clean, lubricate, and set balance wheel on the Jaeger clock.

This is not a recommendation: all I know is that they did this work back in 2002 and the clock is still working fine 14 years later.

Posted: 11-26-2016 02:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
JPJH

I recently was able to get a good working clock from Rejen in UK. Cost was about $55 US plus shipping....not sure if you tried them.

Current time is 06:41 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > clock repair vendor? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems