Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Jensen Healey Race Car is "Done"

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Jensen Healey Race Car is "Done"  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-24-2005 07:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ron Earp

Well, it has taken almost one year to the day for Jeff and I to get this car built, inbetween getting my race license, racing a little in Miatas and Z cars, and working on a host of other cars too. Still, a year isn't all that bad and it is "done" for lack of better word.

We loaded it into the trailer today to take it to the suspension shop for alignment and the welder for a side exit exhaust system.  We will also lower her down in the front about 1.5" or so, and drop the rear about 1", but after that I'd say she'd be ready to race barring any engine startup issues.

Here are some pictures, but they are high-res and I lost my resizer. Therefore, I've enclosed the links to the pics you can look at if you like.  Well, I'll stick one in at the end, the rest you can click on:

Side view with Sydney, my daughter:

http://www.gt40s.com/images/jensen/sydneyjensen.JPG

Quarter View:

http://www.gt40s.com/images/jensen/jensenquater.JPG

My wife driving while Jeff and I get ready to push like hell. Otherwise known as the Minster of Domestic Affairs for those who read my posts from time to time.

http://www.gt40s.com/images/jensen/juliejensen.JPG

Jensen from the front:

http://www.gt40s.com/images/jensen/jensenfront.JPG

And one here, a side view.  I hope to have it running on Thursday or Friday of this week and ready for a test day at VIR on August 5th!!!!!

Last edited on 07-24-2005 11:51 pm by Ron Earp

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-24-2005 11:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Congratulations!  The car is beautiful and shows the care and attention to detail that you've put into it.  Best of luck on every race day!

Posted: 07-25-2005 04:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jdean

Very nice.

Looks like your about to have more fun than one person should be able to all by himself.

Joey

Posted: 07-26-2005 02:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

How about some "Jensen Healey" graphics for the rockers. Let everyone know what you have!

Of course, then they'll say, "I used to have an Austin Healey..."

Looks Great,

Kurt

Posted: 07-26-2005 11:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ron Earp

Well, I actually have some JH Preservation Society vinyl made too, but it isn't going on until the grease stops flying. I made the mistake of putting graphics on the car back in April and some have to be replaced and pulled off. The big red "RTP Racing" text is coming off and the JH PS logo will go there with one other logo.  So, once done I'll get more pics up!!!!

Posted: 09-25-2005 03:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Frank Schwartz

Ron: Well, I would have never dreamed that that old JH I sold you fellows would turn out to be a real gem. Fantastic.
Now you absolutely must keep all of us posted as to its performance....
Congratulations and best regards.
Frank Schwartz

Posted: 09-27-2005 03:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Paul Koehler

Great looking ride! Good luck at the track. Where did you find the mirrors?

and how are they mounted to the windscreen post?

Thanks

PK

Posted: 09-30-2005 01:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Ron Earp

Hi Frank,

It turned out pretty good I think, thanks for the congrats.  We got it done, basically ready for the first track outing, only to find some head work I thought was done six months ago was not done - it was done wrong.  Thus, we've got a motor that won't seal valves for some reason, not sure why. It isn't the valve adjustment since if you remove the cams completely the valves still leak, so, they are being held open.  Guides could be too tight and screwed up, seats could be messed up. Not sure which.

Anyhow, I've been working on other race cars lately and had to shelve the JH for a bit.

Those mirrors are simple $5 mirrors you can get anyhwere. They are mounted using a screw that holds the window frame together on each side. If you have windsheild trim you wouldn't see the screws, but I don't so they are easily accessible.

R

Last edited on 09-30-2005 01:08 am by Ron Earp

Posted: 04-14-2006 01:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Ron Earp

Well, after a false start with a bad engine and us building a couple more race cars in between for customers, we've got the JH back in the hunt and we think ready to race.  Over the last month we've been working on the car sorting suspension issues and all sorts of things.  We got a new motor from Judson and put it in last week nad fired it up, and we're winding up details.  Here is a picture of my buddy Jeff in the car and as long as we can get her aligned, tidy up the underside (only 1/2" clearance between muffler and ground, 1" on the header) we'll be good to go. 

It is a very low car, but with custom springs and shocks it has plenty of suspension travel now, although that took a lot of trial and error to sort out.  Tires are 245-45-13s on Panasports and it has a mean stance on the 3/4 view, which I'll try and get some pictures of for folks that are interested.

I'm very interested to know what it weighs, and, how much hp it puts down to the wheels. I'll probably not have time to dyno it before the race next weekend but I will once we return.

Ron

Posted: 05-19-2006 05:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Ron Earp

After the testing done at Roebling in another thread, we did get a little data on the car with respect to weight. Our spec weight for racing is 2240 lbs and we come across the scales at 2290 lbs with a 195 lb driver.  So, with me in the car we'll come across the scales at 2260 lbs, with 1/2 tank of fuel, which is as close as I'd like to come. It is the lightest car in ITS class by about 100 lbs, with the average ITS car weighing about 400lbs more.

We could lose some weight with an alloy fuel cell, less fire supression equipment, and a few others little odds and ends, but I'm not willing to trade anything except the tank for an alloy one.  The cage is far over built, too heavy, so some weight could be saved there but now that it is in it is basically irreversable.

Corner weights are suprisingly not bad!!!  Cross weighting revealed that we're within about 6% RR/LF compared to LR/RF.  Unfortunately, there is no adjustment for corner weights or height with the current suspension setup since I don't have coil overs. 

Oil system and new radiator are just about in, I'll put some pictures up of this stuff this weekend.  We're registered for the sprint races at CMP for Memorial Day weekend and I hope that this will be the first race for the car.  If it survives the test day on Friday we'll let her lose and see what happens!

Here is a link to the last "report" - http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=505&forum_id=10

Last edited on 05-19-2006 05:39 pm by Ron Earp

Posted: 05-19-2006 05:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
jcdean

Fantastic Ron,

I hope she holds together and you just slay them out there.  Either way, congrats on all the hard work.  Time to enjoy it for a few laps now.

Joey

Posted: 06-01-2006 12:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
jcdean

Ron,

Did the Memorial Day race happen?  Was wondering how everything went and how the car did if you were able to run it.

Joey

Posted: 06-01-2006 02:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Ron Earp

The first race outing for the Jensen Healey ended up badly, unfortunately. Jeff and I decided to head down to the Memorial Monster event at Carolina Motorsports Park for a lot of racing - two sprints, one mini enduro, and the Carolina Cup. Friday, the day before, was an open testing day so we signed up for that to shake the car down.

We'd previously had the Jensen out at Roebling Road and learned it had cooling issues, as well as oiling issues. Since then I'd spent a lot of time putting in a new NASCAR radiator, adding an Accusump, larger oil cooler, and dual remote oil filters. I was pretty sure we'd handled the cooling and oiling problems, that was we'd be allowed to concentrate on figuring out other problems with car.  In fact, here are a couple of pictures of the compete system:

Well, out we go on the first practice session and on lap two, on the front straight, the remote oil filter adapter blows off the block and within about 5-7 seconds pumps the oil out of the sump, Accusump, and runs the engine dry. And, naturally, the car oiled the track down and closed it for about 20 minutes for clean up. I felt horrible about that as I've been on the receiving end of it before.

Anyway, after a flat tow back in the paddock we were able to check it out. The adapter was not the correct adapter for the motor. The adapter that blew off was for a Chevy with 3/4" threads, while I needed the Ford one with 13/16" threads. You can put a Chevy adapter on a Ford nipple, and it will tighten up. And, most kits just come with Chevy adapters since they think everyone wants a Chevy motor. The adapter won't stay on and when you have thread locking sealant on the nipple it is extremely difficult to tell that the adapter is in fact the wrong size. I've always not liked Chevys. It's my fault, yes I know.

A 120 mile parts hunt Friday turned up the correct part. After cleaning everything, carefully, and putting it back together the moment of truth arrived. We fired up the motor and she had pressure, great! But, after about 15 minutes of running a ticking noise slowly became louder and eventually became an identifiable rod knock.

I am hoping we only wiped a rod bearing and that the bearing is damaged while everything else is okay. That could be repaired relatively easily since the bearings for the motor are not expensive. Bearings are there to protect machined surfaces, right? Maybe I'll get lucky on this one.  Judson did a nice job of building the engine, and I did a bang of job of ruining it. But, we're pulling the motor out now and will report back later this week.

Extremely disappointing day, but we'll be back. Jeff got in a few laps in the JH on Friday between repairs and before the rod knock set in and was extremely impressed with power and handling, we might be on to something.  Cooling issues are gone for sure, we've got more water and cooling area than we know what to do with now, both oil and water.

At least there was one glimmer of hope - Jeff's TR8 that I wrench on placed 4th on Saturday's race, and led the IT racing on Sunday for about four laps!!!!! -  before retiring with burned up calipers.  Still, the first time a Brit car has led IT racing in probably 15 years at least. One day in the not too distant future some Brit cars will bring home some IT trophies!

Last edited on 06-01-2006 03:13 pm by Ron Earp

Posted: 07-19-2006 08:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
David Peden

Hello Ron my David i like the rad and oil set could tell me where to order those part ? I would like to race but that be down the road a little bit. But for get along in altanta those inprovement would help. Plus need to replace floor know anyone.

Posted: 07-20-2006 03:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Ron Earp

If you are in Atlanta you need to talk to Judson (serach forum, he's here a lot). In fact, I just delivered my motor last weekend to Judson for rebuilding.  He can help you with the radiator, oil coolers, and give you other options.  He is in Atlanta, so being local could help you a lot.

Ron

Posted: 07-20-2006 04:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
David Peden

Hey Ron i just try to find that guy. Do he have a website? I just want say thank you for your help.

Posted: 07-21-2006 02:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Ron Earp

Send me an email at rlearp@gt40s.com.  I'll then send you Judson's contact info. You'll also find him on the second post in this thread:

http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=601&forum_id=2

Ron

Posted: 07-26-2006 01:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
David Peden

Hey Ron i might see you car this week like your set David.

Posted: 07-29-2006 01:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Ron Earp

Hey, if you see it at Judson's tell'em I said hello. Motor is at machine shop, but, hope to have her all back together before long.

R

Current time is 04:49 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Jensen Healey Race Car is "Done" Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems