Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Project 16984.  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-05-2017 07:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The "Boot" is normally fully carpeted with black carpet, and body color underneath. If you don't want to go that route there are some nice GM type splatter type paints that come in a can, that in my eye can look very nice. As for hole in the floor, personally I would not do it, a good grommet around the gas filler and boot seal should keep water away. Company in Canada has seals for JHs very reasonably priced. https://www.macgregorukcarparts.com/
Brett

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-05-2017 08:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
SlamminJH

Yeah, carpet was all there, but absolutely destroyed. There were a couple of disintegrating road flares that I think aided that. Had to toss basically all of the carpet and the panel covering the fuel tank, it was all far beyond gone. The leather goods in there are okay, tonneu cover, tool bags, etc....they'll get some leatherique to try to save them.

Tank is perfect inside. I'll take it down and paint the outside, it's not bad aside from some peeling. Inside was bone dry and shiny clean.

Posted: 06-05-2017 08:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
SlamminJH

Also, thanks for the link! Those prices are very good!

Posted: 06-06-2017 12:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

FYI While many classic British cars had leather upholstery and accessories, the Jensen Healey did not. The steering wheel, seats, shifter and parking brake boots, and the jack bag are simulated leather or Naugahyde.
Most leather products work just fine on vinyl. YMMV

Posted: 06-06-2017 01:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
SlamminJH

Interesting! No wonder the seats and all look so good. Thanks!

I guess I'll focus mostly on the bra and tonneau cover with the treatment. The bra is still pretty supple, tonneau is a little stiff, but not rock solid. No tears, etc and they appear to be in pretty good shape.

Posted: 06-08-2017 01:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
SlamminJH

No pics, but some progress...

Engine from the red car is sitting on the green car's subframe now. I pressurewashed the subframe so it's not a total mess now. I'm going to pop the cam covers off and check/adjust the valves now while it's out of the car and room is abundant.

One question, the clutches between the 4sp and the 5sp are the same, no? The red car is a 4sp, and the green a 5sp...I'd like to use the better of the two discs/PPs, but I don't wanna find out about some small difference when reassembling...

Car will get a new clutch, etc when I swap the engine again, but for now it's just getting the thing going so I can enjoy it while the other engine gets rebuilt.

Posted: 06-16-2017 04:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
SlamminJH

Engine in and after getting some vacuum leaks plugged up got a great start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RINia6p76es

In tracking down leaks I noticed that this intake cam cover lacks a breather port next to the oil fill, so I guess I'll have to swap over the cam cover from the old engine.

I took the tonneau cover out and tried to install, but it has shrunk a good bit. Think possibly a good leather treatment to soften it up will make it more pliable and I can see if it will stretch back out from there.

My next plan of attack, after getting the cooling system all hooked back up, is to get the fuel tank painted and go over the trunk with some coating. Someone has been there before, the tank was already sitting on top of some bits of hose to get it off the trunk floor. I'll need to take the sender and all out and make sure it's all free. Someone planned for this car to sit a while. Every drop of fuel was drained out.

Posted: 06-16-2017 07:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
redracer

if it hasn't been done yet, I would strongly advise getting the tank internally sealed, such as POR15. Mastercoat, or KBS(haven't used their products yet).
Just noticed your factory hardtop and you have all the stainless steel trim pieces!(many are missing the side ones that wrap around the back corner)

Posted: 07-18-2018 07:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Spaceman

Its a JH5 I presume, looking at the stick ? Very good find, this one is restorable, the other not so much. Mine had very little rust, else I would have scrapped it.

cheers

Current time is 12:09 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > Project 16984. Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems