Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > thickness of material for under gas tank

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
thickness of material for under gas tank  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-02-2016 01:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Bfitz241

I read through this thread
http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=1930&forum_id=14
and saw people use varied things under the tank.
I'm thinking about using 3/16" thick material, either rubber or some type of nylon.
Think that is a reasonable thickness ?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-02-2016 02:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

You can use a lot of things under the tank, but just keep in mind "Air flow", should it get wet under there it needs to dry. Brett

Posted: 10-02-2016 05:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Tom Bradley

3/16" thick sounds about right. I used some felt padding that was around 5/16" or so and it was too thick. I had to remove some of the rubber from the fill tube to get it to fit. Felt generally is not recommended because it can hold moisture which can cause rusting, but my tank had a good paint job when I re-installed it and it made slipping the tank in and out much easier than rubber. Any material that is flexible enough to fill in the gaps between the tank and the frame should be fine. Nylon seems like it might be too stiff for this.

There also is supposed to be some padding between the tank and the backside of the cockpit. I used 1/4" cork, which put the drain somewhat forward of the center of the hole in the frame. I think 1/2" is what it is supposed to be.

Posted: 10-02-2016 10:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Bfitz241

that's good info..Thanks I will act accordingly...

Posted: 10-03-2016 06:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Tom Bradley

Forgot to mention: There is also supposed to be a rubber grommet in the drain hole in the chassis. This helps keep any moisture from getting in from underneath the car. I forget the size, but it was fairly easy to find. The grommet I found was thinner than the padding I had, so I added a bead of silicone to complete the seal after I had everything settled in.

Posted: 10-03-2016 06:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
answerman

I used sections of 12/2 Romex (residential building cable, what you've got for all the wiring in your house most likely). Cut about 4 sections of it about a foot apiece, laid them in place, and then set the fuel tank on them. No, it's not "concours" but it's not like anyone will ever see it with the carpet in place and it's something almost every homeowner has lying around.

Posted: 10-03-2016 07:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Frank Schwartz

If you use felt, just remember that it will really soak up water and hold it ...and then...rust.... I cut strips from those cheap rubber bungee straps and glue about three of them down on the floor and let the tank rest on them...

Posted: 10-04-2016 11:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Paul Koehler

A simple extension cord, cut to the proper length, is about the right thickness, and because of its composition (copper and plastic) will not itself corrode or contribute to galvanic corrosion, because of the plastic insulating the two different metals

Posted: 10-04-2016 07:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Screenplay

In addition to the material under the tank, be certain the gasket around the filler tube is as good as can be well. Delta has replacements, and I have to wonder if there is a good installation trick to help keep the water out in the first place.

Current time is 09:47 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > thickness of material for under gas tank Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems