Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Rear and reverse circuit  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-01-2016 09:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JPJH

Hoping someone might have some advice. I'm chasing inop reverse and rear lights. All other electric systems ok. So far I've checked power to the fuse block and that checks out, but I don't have power to the pedal switch for the brake lights and haven't found the reverse switch yet. I did have a broken pedal switch and replaced with new. Since these are both out I'm thinking it might be the same issue and wiring but I can't see any wiring problems. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-02-2016 02:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

There is an inline fuse under the dash IIRC.

Edit: yes, check the inline use in the brown wire coming out of the hazard switch. All the wires for the rear lights pass through the hazard switch so that maybe the issue.

The front signal lights and side markers are on the hazard switch too.. Are they working?

Kurt

Posted: 10-02-2016 12:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
JPJH

Front side and markers all ok... I'll look for the fuse...thanks for this info. I didn't see a fuse in the schematic so much appreciated.

Posted: 10-02-2016 02:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Check your grounds, the rear lights are supposed to ground themselves thru the fasteners, doesn't work half the time, best bet is to just run a small ground wire of your own. Reverse light switch is on the transmission body, if that is an issue, if it is there is a how to rebuild it someplace on these boards.
Brett.

Posted: 10-03-2016 06:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
answerman

Before you go to too much hair pulling testing, let me mention (though you probably already know) that the ignition switch has to be on for the brake lights to work.

I spent way too much time troubleshooting this last spring when I was reassembling, tested the switch like you did, etc... then looked at the wiring diagram and realized that the +12v for the brake lights comes from the same circuit as the heater fan. That doesn't work with the key off either. That was my clue... turned the ignition to "on" and the brake lights worked just fine.

Again, chances are you already know this, but just in case.

Posted: 11-02-2016 12:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
JPJH

After a bit of digging there were two issues...first was a bad ground, second was connection through hazard switch. Really appreciated everyone's help and suggestions.

Posted: 02-05-2017 01:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
sxjw

Where was the bad ground? Having trouble with dependable brake lights and others in the [I believe] same fuse group [fuel gage / tach/ battery / brake lights]
Mechanic says jiggle the fuse box [three fuse type] and it works. Trouble is, running the car jiggles too [jiggles off very quickly]
Most advice is consistent. Look for a bad ground. I just don't know what that means [computer not automotive savvy]
I'd take pictures but also don't know what I'm looking for [bad ground] or where to look
I'm thinking it will be a solid green wire that is attached to the frame. Do you have any photos of the rear lights and your fix for the ground problem?

Posted: 08-25-2017 08:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
JPJH

Mine was a ground under the panel left side that had come loose. I had to do a fair bit of searching and testing of wires before finding it. In the end it was just spending a day with the wiring schematic and multimeter and tracing circuits. Not the most exciting thing but ultimately solved the issue.

Posted: 11-18-2017 02:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
JPJH

Hi Everyone, as much as I had my Brake lights working, they somehow stopped working again. As mentioned in my earlier reply's I did find a bad ground. Now I seem to be chasing something different. There are two things and I'm not sure how they are related but looking at the wiring schematic, seem to be. First is, my Brake lights went inop again. What's interesting is IF I remove the single wire from the Brake switch and pass 12V through it and step on the pedal The Brake lights work. This would imply grounds are OK, etc. What's odd is that my 'FASTEN SEAT BELT' light is also out and these are tied in the same circuit. I'm curious if anyone has seen this and 'could' the seat belt relay/buzzer be the problem? I appreciate any thoughts.

Current time is 02:43 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Rear and reverse circuit Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems