Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Wiper arm removal  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-24-2016 03:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
flatlanderep

Just purchased VIN 12383, 1973 JH red from PO in Houston . Received car this week and it is in very good condition but lights don't work, temp gauge goes to far right, hot, within 5 seconds of engine start and wiper arms were put on on the wrong side. Going to replace temp sensor and start looking into the light problem, best guess is wiring harness. Only lights operable are brake lights. My initial question is how do I remove the wiper arms?
Steve
Greenvville, NC

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-24-2016 01:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

If you have the original stainless steel ones there is a small metal tab under the post cap, use a small screw driver to push it up and that releases the arm, doesn't take a lot of effort so don't over do it. You might want to hang onto the SS arms, they can;t be gotten anymore.
Brett

Posted: 09-24-2016 02:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
dwalls1

When dealing with electrical issues, don't overlook ground connections. Just a thought and Good Luck.

Posted: 09-24-2016 09:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
flatlanderep

Brett, that worked and wipers are now correct. Thanks. Next I will work on cleaning the ground connections and where are they located?

Posted: 09-24-2016 11:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Screenplay

I imagine the grounds dwalls1 refers to are throughout the car. Anywhere the wiring loom grounds to the body of the car, remove the screw and clean the metal parts that make contact. I used a Dremel tool with a small brass brush, but that really isn't necessary; a small piece of fine sandpaper will work also. I suppose I'd pay special attention to the grounding of the specific components that aren't working. It's also been recommended to remove the fuses from the fuse box and clean the metal clips where they make contact with the fuse. Don't forget the ground wire/strap that grounds the engine to the body located on the battery side in the engine compartment. Best of luck and do let us know how it goes.

Clinton

Posted: 09-24-2016 11:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Screenplay

I haven't had the temp gauge problem but I'd start with the sending unit as it's inexpensive and super easy to change out. It's located on the intake manifold between the carbs and can be purchased from Delta Motorsports. There may be a thing about these that I don't know so perhaps somebody with more knowledge could chime in?

Clinton

Posted: 09-25-2016 11:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
flatlanderep

When removing temp sensor, do I need to drain radiator fluid or will only a limited amount come out of the block? Thanks

Posted: 09-26-2016 03:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Screenplay

No need to drain... once you see it you know why. It sits so high up there's no need to do anything except disconnect the wire, unscrew and install the new one.
I've always used teflon tape on the threads and never had a problem though others swear by one of the Loctite sealants.

Clinton

Posted: 09-28-2016 02:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
flatlanderep

OK, more temp sensor. I removed the temp sensor and prior owner put a yellow plumbers tape around the threads. I found a post from 2006 where the JH guru, Mark Rosenbaun, posted that need to use Permatex and do not use plumbers tape. So I removed tape, put Permatex on threads and re-installed it. No luck, still did not work but I noticed w that just by turning the key without starting, the temp gauge moved to far right. So I disconnected the green wire and still went to to far right by only turning the key. At this point I don't think a new temp sensor will matter. Any ideas?
Steve

Posted: 09-28-2016 02:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
dwalls1

That sounds right. The sender is a resistor that decreases resistance as it gets hotter. Gosh, that sounds too much like I know what I'm talking about. Hopefully some one will jump in to confirm this or report the truth.

Posted: 09-28-2016 05:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Check for continuity between the sender wire and ground. I think you may have a short.

Posted: 09-28-2016 05:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
dwalls1

Wouldn't that let the smoke out?

Posted: 09-28-2016 05:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
dwalls1

I guess not. If the wire is grounded that would peg the gauge. The sender must work the opposite of what I said earlier.

Posted: 09-28-2016 02:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I think you were correct. The resistance decreases as it gets hotter until it is zero. It is effectively grounded at this point and the gauge reads maximum.

Current time is 04:33 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Wiper arm removal Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems