New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Spiyda RVI Buffer  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-01-2016 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I just ordered a Spiyda RVI Buffer. Hopefully it will make the stock Smiths tachometer play nice with the Pertronix/ MSD ignition I'm running.

I have been wanting to re-install the stock tach and decided to test Spiyda's buffer instead of fiddling with the guts of the tach.

Hopefully this little box will perform as advertised making future Pertronix installations easy and reversible.

Has anyone here tried the buffer?

Kurt

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-01-2016 05:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
answerman

Nope, never even heard of this one. Looks interesting. I actually bought the Spiyda conversion kit to internally convert my RVI tach to RVC a few years ago... it's worked just fine with both points and then Pertronix, though I can't claim that it's dead on accurate. For what it's worth, if you're handy with a soldering iron it was a really easy job, took me less than a half hour.

The one thing I'm curious to see with your buffer is the reaction time. With the internal conversion I notice a slight delay between engine RPM change and the corresponding needle movement. He explained that it's by design but I can't remember exactly why.

Posted: 09-01-2016 05:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
answerman

Oh, for what it's worth... if this comes with the cable to calibrate the tach, I (along with other people here) found it basically unusable. I ended up clipping a multimeter with RPM readout to an ignition wire and using that to calibrate my tach.

Posted: 09-01-2016 07:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I haven't seen anything about calibration in the online documentation. I was hoping to split the output from the MSD and use my VDO tach to compare. The VDO is rock solid but has a red indicator and orange "red line". Kind of stupid really.

If that doesn't work, I will connect the buffer to the coil and compare to the VDO tach.

As I said, this is a test.

Posted: 10-12-2016 06:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Rick in Miami

I am running my stock RVI JH tach with a Pertronix II. I still power my coil + terminal from the circuit that passes through the tach (including the pink/white resistor wire). I ran a separate 12v (white) circuit from my ignition switch to power the Pertronix. The tach works fine.

Current time is 09:25 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Spiyda RVI Buffer Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems