New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Dyna Mat  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-24-2016 02:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Bfitz241

http://www.dynamat.com/

Anyone try this product?  I've seen it used on TV cars but have no experience with it.  I'm not worried about noise control so much as heat into the cockpit.  After all we sit right over the exhaust.
Related question:  Is heat in the cockpit an issue?  I never got to drive the car enough to find out.
Since I'm going to replace at least some of the carpet, might as well get it done while I'm in there.
Thanks

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-24-2016 02:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Lash Russell

Heat in the cockpit is a huge issue, especially for the LHS of the car (passenger for you, driver for us here in NA) so at least that is on your side. I will be installing a dynamat type product (Eastwood's version) in the fall before I install new carpet and I'm doing this for both heat mitigation as well as cut down on road noise and panel resonance. The best thing I ever did for heat mitigation was to have my header jet coated before I installed it, had it coated new. Cut down even more heat from exhaust than I thought it would, amazing.
Good Luck,
Lash

Posted: 07-24-2016 03:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Bfitz241

Thanks for the reply. I'm in North America too...at least I think Florida is North America.
I was going to jet hot the manifold BUT the nuts won't budge and I don't have a torch big enough to heat them up. And an open end just won't get it done. Wish it would come off though.
I'll definitely look into Eastwood's product. Now's the time

Posted: 07-24-2016 04:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Screenplay

Just a caveat regarding the Eastwood product:

I was looking into this a couple of years ago and changed plans after reading some of the reviews on Eastwood's own site. Customers were complaining that the rubberized portion of the matting was melting under heat, creating big, gooey messes. I just checked the website this morning and it looks like those older, negative reviews are gone but have been replaced by more recent ones stating the same problem.

I have never used Eastwood's matting so I can't say one way or another, and other reviews seem to say it works fine. I've ordered a couple of dozen products from Eastwood over the years with nothing but great results, so this isn't knock on the company, just a warning from reviews that don't seem to go away.

Clinton

Posted: 07-25-2016 01:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Tim Murphy

My take on this subject: The original Dynamat is designed to prevent the cars sheet metal from vibrating which is caused by excessive bass. It is heavy and expensive. Dynapad is a foam for under carpets and is better at absorbing noise and preventing heat transmission.

If you are on a budget, there are industrial foam sheets designed to block heat and noise and are much cheaper. You might check McMaster Carr and see what they have. Hope this helps. Take care. Tim

Posted: 07-25-2016 05:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Randallclary@icloud.com

I used the Eastwood product and am very happy with it. There seems to be little engine or exhaust heat radiating into the passenger compartment. I also put it in the trunk and inside the door panels and everything just seems much more solid when opening and closing doors. I give it 5 stars. I bought two boxes and was able to do the whole interior and trunk.

Posted: 07-26-2016 02:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
sscheffel

I've used it quite a bit in other British cars. Seems like the Brits always like having the exhaust side on the driver's side (for US cars). It does dampen the booming sound of metal panels, and does reduce some heat penetration, but not outstanding in my mind. I did just buy some new stuff, Design Engineering's Floor and Tunnel Shield. it looks very impressive, a bit thicker and also has a self sticking feature. I first saw it on My Classic Car last winter. If anyone has any experience with it, please step forward...I am considering installing it on the underside of the JH, where the header joins the exhaust. Possibly create a custom heat shield with this stuff. Gotta say, the warmest part in my JH is the ash tray cover! Also wish the JH shift gaiter had a rubber seal underneath it like the TR6s..

Posted: 07-31-2016 01:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
redracer

Please be sure to "rust proof" your floor, witj POR-15, Mastercoat, or KBS before installing or you will be guaranteed to rust through the floor boards.

Posted: 03-17-2017 09:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
timeforwalkies

I went the full route. I had a bit of rust on the floor so cleaned it up, used POR15 and repainted. Then did the Dyna mat route. Dyna Mat comes with a sticky back. I didn't want to stick it to the floor so peeled the old mat from the backing and cut the Dyna Mat to fit. Came out fantastic and the floor mate and under mat can be removed in case some water happens to get in. Never know when it might rain in California!!!
By the way...if you don't have the old under mats you can use fish pond liner to back the Dyna Mat!

Last edited on 03-17-2017 09:14 pm by timeforwalkies

Posted: 10-23-2018 12:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
noomg

I love Dynamat I've done the whole inside of my El Camino and I'm pleased with the results. Now I'm about to redo my J-H's interior but I'm not sure Dynamat is the way to go for the Healey. Dynamat is expensive and I'm not sure how effective it is in a roadster, especially if you drive with the top down like I do.

Posted: 10-23-2018 06:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Randallclary@icloud.com

It works. Keeps heat out of the interior. It deadens road noise and it’s especially good if you affach a strip inside each door against the exterior door panel. It makes each door sound solid when you close each door. Probably have $200 worth of Dynamat in my JH.

Posted: 10-23-2018 03:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
noomg

Yes, it does indeed work and it's a great road noise deadener although I'm not sure how well it would stand up as a heat insulator. Also, I've never had a problem with heat in the cockpit like the Austin-Healey. My J-H is coming back from the paint shop shortly and I too will install it in the doors because it does provide a satisfying thunk when you close the door.

Current time is 03:16 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Dyna Mat Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems