New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Being prepared saves the day  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-13-2016 07:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I haven't driven my JH since last spring due to back problems. When I tried to move the car in March, the clutch had rusted to the pressure plate. I finally pulled the transmission in May and just finished putting it all back together yesterday.

I started the car with the bonnet open and when the idle settled I took a look. There was fuel dribbling out of the banjos on both Dellortos. Rushing to shut off the ignition, it caught fire just as I turned the key.

My fire extenguisher is mounted on a post in the garage and the door was open since I had been wrenching on he car. The fire was out within 5 seconds of starting.

The tape on the engine harness is melted but the wires look ok though they are probably brittle now. I tightened up the banjos and the leak is stopped.

If the bonnet had been closed it would have been harder to get the fire out. If the garage had been closed I would have had to rely on the small extenguisher in the glove box.

Be prepared and check for leaks. I got lucky.

Kurt
JH 13148

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-13-2016 07:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Rick Willard

Gosh Kurt...nice job knocking that fire out immediately and a good lesson for anyone who owns this car.

My first JH caught fire in the mid-80's at a bowling alley. Luckily, police were parked right next to me, saw the fire, and had it out before I could even pull my extinguisher out of the trunk. Replaced the fuel line T, the engine wiring harness, had the hood repainted, and I was right back in business. Sadly, my 3rd JH was retired permanently due to an engine fire.

Anyway, I would argue that your situation had little to do with luck...you were prepared. Nice job and thanks for sharing the story!

Rick

Posted: 04-14-2019 06:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
noomg

I keep my fire extinguisher behind the passenger seat that way I can grab it from either side of the car or sitting in the driver's seat. I find it takes me to long to access it in the trunk. If you have a Jensen-Healey you should have a fire extinguisher and a plan on how to use it.

Current time is 09:31 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Being prepared saves the day Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems