Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Mysterious Electrical option

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Gary Martin JH 15371

I'm still working on old 15371. I have the gas tank out of the trunk and I'm in prosess of fixing a little rust in the trunk. Near the fuel pump I notice a small wiring harness running up behind the left trunk hinge and over to the center of the panel between trunk and pasenger compartment. The wires lead to a black plastic connector that is located just ahead of where the gas filler neck would be. The connector passes through the bulkhead and appears as a flush electical outlet of some sort on the panel behind the seats. This has me totally mystified as what the heck it could be for. Does anyone know ? Is this some sort of option ? It looks factory. The power was hooked to the electrical fuel pump so would only have power when the fuel pump had power. I'm curious if anyone else has this thing.

Thanks, Gary  

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Rear window defogger for a hard top option

Mark Rosenbaum

Brett is correct.  The factory hard top plugs right in to the socket in the rear bulkhead.  According to the JH parts list, this socket is a Jensen #92824 or Lucas #54320588, while the mating plug is a Jensen #92823 / Lucas #304919.  There should also be an inline fuse holder in the trunk.

The Snugtop aftermarket hardtop, which is very frequently seen in North America, has a plastic rear window that for obvious reasons is not equipped with a rear window demister.  Someone with one of these tops who was troubled by mist could install one or two small electric fans that derived their power from the demister connector.

Another idea, one I've been toying with for years now, is to modify the wiring to the socket so it instead connects to the brake lights wire, then hook up an aftermarket third brake light that attaches to the car by a magnet.  This would improve safety a bit without making any permanent changes to the car.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems