New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
W58 Gearbox  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-15-2016 12:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
NigelK

Dear Forum Users

As I have posted elsewhere, last year LotusBits replaced the Getrag 235/5 gearbox in my GT with a Toyota W58 gearbox out of a Lotus Excel. I am very happy with the ratios of the new gearbox, particularly the proper overdrive 5th gear which reduces engine rpm significantly during motorway cruising.

I have found, however, that the W58 gearbox itself is quite a lot noisier than the Getrag - there is a mechanical whirring noise in all gears, which becomes a harsh rattle when I come off the gas in 4th and 5th. I spoke to Mike Taylor about this and he said the W58 gearbox is generally quite noisy, and that the noise is amplfied by the shifter, which he had to replace when he installed the gearbox in my GT.

The standard Lotus Excel shifter is shown in the image above. It is turret-mounted on the gearbox (as opposed to the later tripod mounted shifters which tend to have the steel sandwich plate, as shown in the image below) and the lever itself is straight with no dogleg. The shifter itself is 2-piece and quite wide, with the wider upper part incorporating an anti-vibration damper.

Mike found that the standard shifter was too wide and not angled sufficiently far back. As a result it was fouling the aperture in the centre console of my GT, so it was replaced with a length of M10 steel rod into which Mike introduced a dogleg to give the required clearance within the centre console aperture.

I've done some research on Toyota Supra / Celica drifting forums, and it seems that the W58 gearbox can indeed be quite noisy, especially if a short throw shifter without the anti-vibration damper is fitted.

Based on this research, I think a short throw shifter which retains the anti-vibration damper and has a dogleg to the rear might a) fit my GT and potentially b) reduce gearbox noise levels. A shifter which fits the bill is made by a chap in the US called Jim King and is sold via SupraSport and Raptor Racing (http://suprasport.com/Quick-Short-Sport-Shifter-V3_p_176.html and http://raptorracing.com/toyota-mkii-supra/mk2-drivetrain/s3-v2-shifter-for-w58-and-r154?cPath=163_16_41&).

Has anyone here fitted a short throw shifter to their W58 gearbox? Any other ideas for reducing noise levels?

Any advice gratefully received.

Best wishes,
Nigel

Last edited on 08-15-2017 07:48 pm by NigelK

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-15-2016 11:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
atgparker

I'm working on a W58 conversion at present.
I have scored a CUBE short throw shifter from down under for $130. I had to replace the "A002" bushing in your diagram with an aluminum one which is probably going to be making added noise as the OEM Toyota part is a rubber isolated double sleeve. But the housing it seems has a "rubber" splash shield with 6 washers to keep it from getting squashed. With rubber loaded washers above to secure the housing to the transmission body I suspect a lot of the noise is transmitted into the ball socket of the lever through this casting. The Cube shift lever is in two pieces which I think I will be able to off-set to produce correct positioning in the center console if the cube isn't to high up in the tunnel.
Cheerio,
Andrew

Posted: 03-16-2016 07:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
NigelK

Hi Andrew

Is this the Cube short throw shifter you're referring to?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUBE-Speed-short-shifter-to-suit-Toyota-Supra-W40-W55-W57-W58-R154-/321567946549?hash=item4adef17735:g:ObsAAOSwEppUUdVK&vxp=mtr

Best wishes,
Nigel

Posted: 04-23-2016 02:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
atgparker

Yes this is the very unit. I had to make a .375 inch thick spacer to jack the Cube up to get the ball and cup to sit perfectly in the shifter arm. Notice the cut and welded section compared with the one that the gear box came with. I have mounted the shifter housing directly to the gear box and sealed it with 515 Loctite. So no leaky rubber gasket. Wondering about a breather for the heat and slinging of gear oil from the output shaft that goes up into this area of the sifter?

Attachment: WP_20160422_001.jpg (Downloaded 180 times)

Last edited on 04-23-2016 02:47 am by atgparker

Posted: 07-23-2016 04:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
NigelK

Dear forum users

I installed the JDK S3 short throw shifter on the W58 gearbox in my GT today. Here are some images of the shifter prior to installation.

Installed, the shifter fits perfectly in the stock leather gaiter and supports it just like the original Getrag shifter.

In use, the JDK S3 shifter is fantastic with short, precise shifts. It is also quieter in use, because of the rubber insulator installed in the wider, upper part of the shifter. I also changed out the gearbox oil for Redline MT90 which may also have contributed to there being less noise.

I would thoroughly recommend the JDK S3 short throw shifter for anyone who has installed a W58 gearbox in their J-H or GT. It is not cheap, but it is a quality, US-made item and the maker, Jim King, is more than happy to provide custom units just like he did for me.

Best wishes,
Nigel

Last edited on 08-15-2017 07:49 pm by NigelK

Posted: 09-09-2016 12:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
atgparker

I have had my W58 Gearbox in 11602 for a few months now and the not popping out of second gear is really nice.

I ended up using the cross member which came on my all aluminum W58 gearbox as this dropped the gear box down in the tunnel putting the Cube-shifter housing level with the tunnel opening. It also set the engine tilt to be very close to the OEM slant which has preserved the angles for the dampener on the bell housing and the upper radiator hose routing bends. In addition the drive shaft angles look good too. The Conversion Components supplied cross member is straight and raises the gear box tail shaft end up by 4 or 5 inches. This also drives the header into the floor pan foot well area which is not OK.

Current time is 05:05 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > W58 Gearbox Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems