Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Fresh Air Intake  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-20-2005 11:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ron Earp

I have a book that has a collection of road test articles for the Jensen Healey and GT.  In one picture they show an airbox attached to the Strombergs on the GT and these are fed to a large diameter hose that looks like it goes to the front of the car. Does anyone know where to get these pieces? I think I actually had some, but, left them outside my house and they were picked up by the trash men - doh!!!!

Anyone know where I can get these bits? A cold air intake is legal in IT if a car came with them, and a GT is a really close cousin to a Roadseter!

Thanks much,

Ron

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-21-2005 12:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I think you want the air intake plenum used on the GT.  I've seen a couple of these for sale on eBay in the past year or so, or you could try the usual suspects.  Also, at least one of the Lotus cars using the 907 had a very similar plenum which should bolt right on without alterations.  In the photo I saw, it looked like it might have used a slightly larger hose than the one for the GT.

Posted: 07-21-2005 11:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Hey Ron, my JH5 20497 came thru with a GT air box from the factory, the PO tossed it when he put those chrome thingies on, but I have since found one and reinstalled it, our good buddie Joe ( Chicago ) Mazurk had a extra he sold me, I'd check E-bay or put a wanted add in the maket place thats worked well for me in the past ( got me a JH 8 track that way ), I'll try and send you a couple Pict's of the set up.

Brett.

Posted: 07-21-2005 02:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Judson Manning

Ron,

Some VERY late JHs had this 'ram-air' intake.  My father's car had it as well as a California car I bought a few years ago.  This is NOT a very common thing. 

These cars also have a set of door and ignintion keys mounted (as I remember) somewhere in front of the radiator. (I remember reading this in the owner's manual when I was 15 as it gave me the opportunity to take the old-man's car out w/o permission!)

As I remember it, the 'muffler' looking air intake that everyone has seen is not present, but an air-box over the carbs is still there.  However, this air-box has its opening at the front pointing forward instead of the usual opening in between the two carbs pointing toward the passanger side.

A stiff hose connects this air-box opening to a hole cut in the sheetmetal above where the radiator overflow bottle is mounted.  At least in theory this would bring cold-air into the carbs. 

The only problem is that it really isn't documented anywhere that I've seen.  Even the great JH guru Bruce Madden hasn't ever seen a JH with this set-up.   Does anyone have an Owner's manual from a very late JH?

Judson

Posted: 07-21-2005 02:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Judson Manning

Oh, one other observation....

Bruce Madden does have an early Huffaker D-prod car that has a similar cold-air intake.  Of course it's made of sheetmetal and is HUGE.  I think the old Production rules were similar to today's IT rules, so the cold-air box must be documented somewhere.

However, checking picutres from an old copy of the White Lady; Bruce Qvalle's 95 E-prod car did NOT have a cold-air intake.  Just a 'Huffaker' foam box over the two carbs.

So is the cold-air box gonna do you any good????

Posted: 07-21-2005 02:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ron Earp

Hey Judson,

I think it will help.  IT rules state that anything in front of the carbs is free - EXCEPT, a cold air intake UNLESS your car had it factory. So, by the book I can make any sheet metal contraption I want and I think, since we know some JH's used that hole for air, I can plumb my sheet metal contraption into the hole for fresh air.

It definitely helps power.  It is well known and well documented with dyno sheets that Z cars pick up about 7-10 rear wheel hp if they don't breathe the hot under hood air and instead get a fresh air pickup out the front.  Of course, a Z car can make 170-190 rear wheel hp in IT trim, so it is a little apples to oranges on the JH, but the Z car motor is 2.4L where we are at 2.0L.  So, we should get something and I am sure temps, carbs, etc. have a lot to do with it. 

In short, I think it'll be worth it and I will work to make one, just not right away.  I was planning on necking that 5" hole in the body down to 3" and using it for a brake duct feed, but now I need to use something else.

R

Posted: 07-21-2005 02:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Judson, my JH 20497 came thru that way and at the Nashville show Bruce did comment on it when he saw it, of course mine was also one of the last few out the doors before they closed and I have a few items on my car that were used primarily on GT's, I do have a late owners manual ( which I haven't looked at in a while ) but I dont think that shows the GT style cleaner but I'll double check tonight.

Brett

Posted: 07-21-2005 03:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Ron Earp

Brett, thanks for the pictures of yours by the way. I am printing those and storing them in the manual in case I get protested (fat chance, I need to win first) on the cold air.

Ron

Posted: 07-25-2005 10:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Joseph Mazurk

I bought a GT from a guy in California who cut a hole in the blower box on the bulkhead and used some "L" shaped brackets to hold the 3" rubber hose to the blower box then he attached that hose to the front of the engine compartment to have fresh air pumped into the passenger compartment. I know this doesn't have anything to do with racing but its a neat feature for a GT to have this modification. I have pics of this non-factory modification for anyone interested.

Joseph Mazurk

'                          Chicago, IL

Current time is 04:57 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Fresh Air Intake Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems