New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Timing  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-21-2016 11:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
r11ss

Hi,

After putting my JH away for a couple of years I am getting her back on the road. Unfortunately I have been tinkering with a few things in the meantime and now she is running really rough and won't tick over.
I have changed the cam belt and had the carbs pressure cleaned with bicarb.
She starts fine however backfires through the carbs mostly on air intake cylinder 2.
All the spark plugs are firing and I have put new plugs in set at 0.035 (I have a pertronix ignition system)
I have attached some pictures the first three with the engine off and the last with the engine running at 2000 rpm taken with a timing light, the mark is on the third notch, the picture looks upside down. When the engine slows it comes back closer to the 1st notch however because it stall when it gets there.

Any help confirming this looks good before I start tinkering with the carbs would be really appreciated.

Last edited on 02-22-2016 12:01 am by r11ss

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-22-2016 10:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Screenplay

Hi, I don't think I know enough to help diagnose the problem with the carb backfire or stalling, but the pics provided I believe are good. I've done the belt a couple of times and the cam gears and crank marks look to be on target. However, I don't see a photo of the oil pump/distributor pulley. If it's off by one tooth, that would equate to 15-18˚ at the crankshaft (don't recall the exact). Is it possible that it moved while the belt was off? Make sure at TDC on the timing marks that the distributor rotor is on cylinder #1 and that the points are open. I've read enough to know that so many issues can be in the distributor; however as your car was sitting for a couple of years there may be an issue in the carbs. Hopefully another Jensenista can chime in?

Clinton

Last edited on 02-22-2016 11:06 pm by Screenplay

Posted: 02-22-2016 11:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

It appears that your timing is set to about 18 degrees BTDC. It should be one mark to the right.
Also, check your firing order. It's easy to get reversed due to the distributor facing the rear. Ask me how I know! The backfire can blow into the brake booster and cause it to fail. Again, ask me how I know.
Good luck, Kurt

Posted: 02-23-2016 09:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
r11ss

Thanks for the help, it looks like I have let the timing sprocket turn while the belt was off. I have set the static timing and hopefully that will fix it.

Posted: 03-02-2016 07:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
r11ss

Hi,

Thanks for all the help. I had let the timing crank turn a couple of notches when I did the timing. I fixed that reasonably easy using doing the static timing first and then timing it when it was running. Still running rough though so I pulled the jets out of the carb and the idle jets were blocked, gave them a clean and now she is running good.

Russell

Current time is 09:43 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Timing Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems