Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Lockheed Brake Shoes  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-30-2016 11:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
RoyalViking

I had been looking for brake shoes and found that Pep Boys has the Lockheed shoes for $29.99.  Usually they have a discount for orders made online and I was able to snag a 20% off discount off of that.  I picked them up at the store so I saved on shipping.

The part number is 484PB (Prostop product line)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-01-2016 06:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
NigelK

I recently bought some new Lockheed brake shoes from a well known Jensen parts supplier in the UK, as I was struggling to find the correct shoes from generic suppliers.

I had a bit of an issue with these new brake shoes - there are a number of bead welds between the web of the shoe and the lining table, one of which fouls the upper lever of the self adjuster mechanism, so it cannot rotate as designed. This weld would also make it impossible to lift the upper lever from the outside to release the self adjuster, which you sometimes need to do to remove the drum.

I managed to file the offending bead weld down, but it was a pretty fiddly job given its location in the right angle between the web and the lining table, and it took me a couple of hours with a needle file.

It would be worth checking the welds on the shoes you bought, just to make sure they don't foul the self adjusters. You should be able to see what I mean in the picture below.

I subsequently discovered that, in the UK at least, it's about the same price to get old shoes relined as to buy new one, so I had some original Lockheed shoes relined and there is no issue with the self adjusters.

Posted: 02-02-2016 01:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
RoyalViking

Thanks for the tip. I'll look at the new brake shoes this week and see if they are built the same way.

Posted: 02-02-2016 08:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Screenplay

I just wanted to add that I've had great luck sourcing NOS brake shoes (Lockheed style) from the UK through ebay. Even with shipping, I haven't paid over $35 for a set.

Last edited on 02-02-2016 08:29 pm by Screenplay

Current time is 08:15 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Lockheed Brake Shoes Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems