Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Trunk lid  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-05-2016 03:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
sscheffel

After over 40 years I jumped back in the Jensen Healey game and purchased a nice 74 with non-rubber bumpers. In fact it was profiled in the most recent issue of the Preservation Society journal , "recently seen on some on line auction" I'm trying to re-learn the ins and outs, and the forum have been great, but I have not seen any comments or solutions to what I understand is a common issue, namely, the trunk lid won't stay up. I know there has been some modifications offered for the bonnet, but what about the trunk?? thx

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-05-2016 05:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Matthew10571

Mine used to stay up until I added a luggage rack, so I would be interested in a fix as well.

Posted: 01-05-2016 11:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Frank Schwartz

Somebody figured out how to fit a pneumatic hoist or whatever you call those gas charged things...anyhow, some Jensenite did fit one to his trunk lid and it held it up nicely. I have no idea, however, who it was and how complete his information as to how to accomplish this is.,

Perhaps he will read this and enlighten us.

Frank

Posted: 01-06-2016 12:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Art DeKneef

That was Dan Eiland and the topic came up on the Jensen mail list.

For pictures see http://jhppg.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=28946

Posted: 01-08-2016 01:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

To get the trunk to stay open there is what looks like heavy wire loop on each hinge, those loops are supposed to be the tensioners to keep the trunk open. the loops fit ABOVE a bracket under the gas cap panel on each side, you need to get in the trunk to see the brackets but you can at least feel them, if the loops are under the bracket towards the trunk floor then that is the problem, (doesn't create tension being under), most of the time you can just horse the loop above the bracket but sometimes you may need loosen up the trunk hinge to do it. Brett.

Posted: 01-15-2016 03:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
sscheffel

Brett

thanks for your response. I checked and sure enough one side was not installed as you described. I correctly repositioned the rods but unfortunately no real change. I see where Moss motors has a strut-style trunk lift kit for Miata. I may give this a try.

Posted: 01-23-2016 02:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Frank Schwartz

Very odd...I logged on to Moss Motors and in the "search" mode, found nothing that matched Miata...
More information, please.

Posted: 01-23-2016 03:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
sscheffel

http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=77972

Try this link...(part number 900-230)

It looks pretty straight forward, but I have not investigated much further.

they also have hood lift kits. All Kits are currently on sale. let me know if you try either one of these. thanks.

Posted: 07-31-2016 12:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
redracer

The trunk lid spring is just a torsion bar, and over time it weakens, just like any spring after much use. A luggage rack adds considerable weight, and everyone I've seen will NOT support this extra weight. The easiest remedy would be to find a "junk" car which has been sidelined for many years but would likely have a "strong" torsion spring and replace yours with it(removing the lid and their hinge mechanisms is not too difficult)

Posted: 07-31-2016 04:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Frank Schwartz

Mike Linn has the answer. His trunk lid is supported by a lift catch from the front of a Jensen Healey. You lift the trunk and the latch holds it up, release the catch and the trunk lid comes down..same as it was on the hood, but the hood now has gas lifts, so the old latch was used. He sent pictures and measurements. I plan to do that on our JH, but haven't gotten around to it as yet. But soon plan to do it and sent pics and test to JHPS

Posted: 07-31-2016 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Frank Schwartz

That should read "send pictures and text to JHPS"

Posted: 07-31-2016 06:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
MikeIsotech

I added a lift catch, similar to that used on the bonnet (hood). The one I found was shorter than the hood version but it's great having it, knowing that you won't get whacked on the head. I'll take a picture and post it if I can work out how!

Current time is 09:58 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Trunk lid Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems