Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
compressor removal  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-30-2015 07:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Joenpate56

I am going to remove the air conditioning compressor to allow better access. Is there anything additional I need to do to make sure it will work if I decide to put it back in at some time. I removed the drive belt years ago.

Thanks

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-01-2016 08:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Screenplay

I was waiting to see if anyone was going to answer your query; I imagine there is a dearth of information regarding JH air conditioning. If a JH owner doesn't step up, I would look for general information regarding air conditioning compressors, condensers, etc. and preserving them for future use.

Posted: 01-02-2016 02:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Joenpate56

Thanks for the reply. I will probably just seal up all the openings and put it in a box. There was still a little pressure in the system after 40 years. I removed the bolts from a large mounting bracket and the bracket fell off but the compressor didn't move. Interesting project.

Posted: 01-06-2016 11:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Joenpate56

Does anyone have a picture of the alternator position on a non air conditioned JH? I have removed the compressor. It looks like the alternator will just spin up into the position the compressor was in. I would need a different belt but I think that is where the alternator is on non air JH;s

Thanks

The alternator was connected to the compressor which was above the alternator. With the compressor gone the alternator is not well enough connected

Posted: 01-07-2016 01:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Art DeKneef

You will need a new belt. I don't have the size or a picture handy right now. Someone else should chime in with the size. If not Delta would probably be able to give you the size of the belt.

When I removed the compressor from one of my cars I used a belt from a non-AC JH.

Posted: 01-07-2016 02:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Joenpate56

Thanks Art
did you just rotate the alternator up after you removed the compressor and use the bolt and hole the compressor was in

Posted: 01-09-2016 11:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Art DeKneef

If I understand correctly your alternator was on the bottom and the compressor was on the top.

On my car the alternator was on top and the compressor was on the bottom. So there wasn't much adjustment needed for the alternator. It was all ready in the proper position compared to the rest of my cars. Just the adjustment to get the right tension in the belt.

Current time is 02:11 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > compressor removal Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems