Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Question for those who have installed the Delta floor pans

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Question for those who have installed the Delta floor pans  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-23-2015 04:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
answerman

So, I'm in the process of making new floor pans for Ms. Jenavieve, and I'm getting close to having the drivers side done.

At the moment, I'm struggling a bit with the curve along the transmission tunnel, where it curves in and then straightens out before hitting the 90 degree curve at the front. Hopefully you know where I'm talking about.

Anyway, I was looking at the JHPS store and saw a picture of the aftermarket floor pan. I noticed that the pan isn't curved in that picture... back to front, it starts out straight, then angles over to where the 90 degree curve starts. It doesn't have the gentle curve along the transmission tunnel.

The reason I'm asking this is I was wondering... that seems like it would move that front 90 degree curve over to the left quite a bit, probably close to an inch. And that's where your heel sits when you have your foot on the accelerator pedal.

For those who have installed these... is it noticeable? Less room for your heel? Does it change the angle of your foot? Because it is a MUCH simpler piece to create without the curve, but I don't want to mess with comfort too much.

If this isn't clear, let me know and I will try to come up with pictures to explain better.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-23-2015 09:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
answerman

All right, I'm not even sure I understood my own explanation. I'll try to draw up what I'm talking about to explain better. Check back soon.

Posted: 12-23-2015 11:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Art DeKneef

On one of my cars I made the drivers floor pan and included the curve in the design. It wasn't difficult to make once I had the measurements and patterns made. It did involve a lot of fitting and trimming to get it to fit.

I thought I had a couple of pictures of it but couldn't find them.

What kind of trouble are you having in that area?

Posted: 12-26-2015 12:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Tom Bradley

I think I understand what you are talking about. But when I compare the picture of the floor panel on JHPS with the drawing of the floor panel in the JH parts catalog, it looks to me that the replacement panel should give a bit more space around the gas pedal than the original. But maybe that is simply the different perspectives in the pictures.

I bought a replacement floor panel from Delta when I first bought my car 30 years ago. I read that good sheet metal welding needed much practice, so I had it installed by a local auto body place. Since the only place the old floor panel was bad was where the feet go, they only used about 2/3 of the new panel. At the time I was not entirely happy with the thin gauge of the replacement panel or the way they put it in, but it still looks fine after over 100K miles so I guess I have no reason to complain. I wear size 13 shoes and have not had any trouble working the pedals, though I certainly would not try it wearing boots. On the other hand, all my driving has been in S. Cal. and I weigh less than 160 lbs, so as they say, your mileage may vary.

I also noticed that the JHPS web site had a disclaimer on installing this panel: "Please note: due to the original, hand-crafted nature of the Jensen Healey, any body panel on this car whether NOS, used or reproduction, will require considerable fitting time to insure a proper fit." So I guess your concern is fairly common.

Current time is 10:44 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Question for those who have installed the Delta floor pans Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems