Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Cam belt replacement  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-08-2017 04:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
Frank Schwartz

Dumb me. I looked Sikaflex up and it is available for a few bucks at Home Depot. I had my mouth running before I had my brain in gear...

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-09-2017 05:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
Esprit2

Frank Schwartz wrote:
Have always had problem holding cams in place and this is what I need. Or perhaps regular silicone sealer which dries hard but rubbery is ok????Are you talking about the silicone sealant that is applied to the threads of the bolt that secures the pulley to the crank? Or something else? For that purpose, all you need is an automotive grade silicone sealant, like the Permatex Ultra series. Apply anti-seize to the bore of the pulley and the cam journal.

For the auxiliary pulley, use Loctite Retaining compound, or a red, high strength Threadlocker in the pulley bore and on the shaft. Wipe off any excess that gets squeezed out. Especially on the back side, since you don't want any to get into the rubber lip seal right behind the pulley.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Posted: 04-09-2017 06:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
Frank Schwartz

Yes, I know...I am referring to the white sealant he used in filling up that wedge gadget he used to hold the cam wheels in place and used a bit of old toothed belt.
Frank

Posted: 04-10-2017 02:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
Esprit2

Frank Schwartz wrote:
Yes, I know...I am referring to the white sealant he used in filling up that wedge gadget he used to hold the cam wheels in place and used a bit of old toothed belt.
Frank
I didn't comment on Peter's pulley clamp earlier, because I thought it was a very clever design and use of available materials; however, I usually advise against using anything like that.

If you're using it to keep the pulleys from moving out of alignment between when the belt is removed and when a new one is installed, then all it does is preserve what was, without making certain what was, was correct. If the timing was off before you started, it will be off after you're done. That's not very reassuring.

It's very quick and easy to install and time a cam belt starting from scratch. It takes less time to do the task right without a pulley clamp than it does with one. Even if you spin the dials like a Rubic's Cube before starting, just follow the correct procedure from scratch and the engine will quickly end up correctly timed when you're done. And you know it's right.

Use a pulley clamp to keep the pulleys from moving, and the timing will be as screwed up after you're done as it was before you started. It might be right, it might not. I don't recommend that.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 04-22-2023 04:47 am by Esprit2

Current time is 03:19 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Cam belt replacement Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems