Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Clutch noise/failure to dissengage

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Glen

My clutch started making a noise like a bolt being pulled through sheetmetal.  It did this when the clutch was fully engaged and at low speeds in first and second gear, but stopped when I was at speed.  I didn't hear the noise in any other gears.  The next day the clutch failed to disengage.  The clutch pedal feels normal.  I should note that this car sat for 10 years and just recently started getting driven again (less than 100 miles).  Suggestions?

Mark Rosenbaum

It would seem that something in the clutch assembly has fallen apart and is now jamming the pressure plate.  You might check to see if the throwout lever has come off its pivot inside the bell housing.  Most likely though, you'll have to pull things apart and take a look.  You might also re-torque the bolts holding flywheel to crank while you're there.

Jim Sohl

I concur with Mark. It seems to me at least possible that the throw-out bearing has become miss-aligned and/or the throw-out bearing has simply failed. Either way, some tear-down time is in your future. Also, it is likely, almost to the point of certainty, that the clutch disk has left rust marks where it was pressed against the flywheel and pressure plate for such a long time. The rust marks may not be a problem, however, I've seen actual pitting from essentially the same circumstances (in humid Nebraska). As is often said in the Jensen Healey repair biz, Good Luck!

jdean

This happened to me in Rancho Bernardo, CA two days before I was to go on a little cruise courtesy of the US Navy.  The owner of the home where it broke down was very gracious in agreeing not to call the police to have it towed when I explained the situation to him.  Three weeks later I arrived with a pickup and  a rope so I could tow it back to the base and work on it.  We decided to see if we could push it forward just a bit so I popped the tranny into neutral and let off the brake.  A loud pop was heard.  I put on the brakes and just automatically pushed in on the clutch out of habit to put the car back in gear and low and behold everything worked.

The moral of the story?  Threaten it with a truck.

If that fails, try above ^^^.

Last edited on 07-19-2005 05:00 pm by jdean

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems