Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > brake drum removal 75 jh

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Joenpate56

lever upper shoe. I am trying to release the brake shoes as the drum is hanging up on them. I am using a puller. The drum spins freely until I apply the puller. I can get a screwdriver into the slot on the upper shoe lever. What do I then do to release the shoes. Any pictures with the drum removed?

Thanks

answerman

From this thread when I was trying to get my handbrake adjusted last summer:

"You should however, as Joachim says, be able to completely slacken off the self-adjuster remotely - remove the oval rubber blank from the back of the backing plate, you should be able to see a metal slot in the upper lever of the self-adjuster through the backing plate, insert a flat-blade screwdriver into this slot and push upwards to release the mechanism."

http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=2187&forum_id=6&highlight=brake+drum

answerman

Also, there's an exploded view here. The slot is in item #12 in the picture, right under the vertical red arrow that points down. What you want to do is lift that part up so that it releases from the teeth on item #13, which should then spring "inward". Iten #13 is what is holding the shoes in the outward position.

Last edited on 12-01-2015 05:07 pm by answerman

Joenpate56

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try this evening

NigelK

I stripped the drum brakes on my GT over the weekend, and was anticipating issues removing the drums, but got lucky as they came straight off.

OK, starting with an obvious question, presumably you have removed the single screw which fastens the drum to the hub? If so, and the drum turns but you can't pull it off, it's unlikely (but not impossible, see below) that slackening off the self adjuster mechanism (which is the procedure you refer to in your original post) will allow you to remove the drum. If the self adjuster was holding the shoes against the drums, then you wouldn't be able to rotate the drums.

Next step is to spray some penetrating oil around the wheel but studs, and gently tap around them with a hammer to encourage the oil into the space between the drum and the hub. Some heat may help as well. The idea is to loosen up any corrosion between the flat face of the drum and the hub.

If you can move the drum a few mms along the wheel nut studs but it then hangs up, then there may be a ridge of corrosion on the braking surface of the drum, inboard of the shoe. Slackening off the self adjuster may allow the shoes to move inwards towards the hub sufficiently to allow you to slide the drum off despite this ridge, but if not you'll need to use a combination of heat and gentle taps with a hammer around the circumference of the drum to free it up.

If all that fails, then you may need to remove the circlip holding the wheel cylinder in place and try to unfasten the springs through the hole to "collapse" the mechanism inside the drum, or as an absolute last resort cut the drum off. Chances are if it's that difficult to remove you'd need to replace it or reskim it anyway.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Joenpate56

I got the drum off. Answerman's cure worked. After getting the pads to back off the puller moved the drum. I added some heat. Big pop and the drum was loose. Thanks for all the help.

answerman

Not my solution (a mix of Nigel's, Joachim's, and Kim's suggestions and trials) but glad it worked for you. I just know how to copy and paste :-)

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems