Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Brakes - rear lockheed  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-20-2015 11:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
DAVE50

Hello - Has anyone got a picture of the layout of the springs on the rear lockheed drum arrangements ?  I am having difficulty in getting the springs to adequatly bring the shoes together and suspect I may have one of the springs in the wrong place.

Thanks

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-20-2015 05:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Screenplay

HI David,

I have some pics of my Lockheed brakes as well as a pic of the exploded view from the workshop manual. However, I can't seem to get them to upload here (file too big). If you want to PM me your email I could send them there for certain.

And if anyone else has encountered this issue with attachments, how do you shrink the info of an image to get it to load here? (I've done it before with this same camera with no problem - can't recall what I did) If I can get them to upload here, I will for the benefit of any and all.

Clinton

Last edited on 11-20-2015 05:40 pm by Screenplay

Posted: 11-20-2015 06:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
DAVE50

Great - try email at;

rookehill@btinternet.com

Posted: 12-06-2015 04:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
DAVE50

Fixed the brakes and took the JH for a spin yesterday - all working and one happy JH owner. Dave. Thanks for your help

Posted: 12-13-2015 04:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
NigelK

Hi

I've just finished refurbishing the Lockheed drum brakes and handbrake on my GT. I replaced all the nuts and bolts on the handbrake pivot mechanism behind the rear axle and lubricated the moving parts with chassis grease, replaced the brake shoes, wire brushed the self-adjuster mechanisms, and lubricated the self adjuster pins and mating surfaces with lithium grease.

A couple of tips which may be useful for others doing this job. Firstly, I found it impossible to fit the tension spring which holds the trailing shoe to the handbrake lever, with the shoe in place on the backing plate, as instructed in the workshop manual. I found I could only do this by removing the trailing shoe all together, fixing the handbrake level and tension spring to the shoe, and then reinstalling the entire assembly onto the backing plate. Secondly, once the brake drums had been reassembled, I could not make the self adjusters work by operating the handbrake a few times (as instructed in the workshop manual). Rather, the self adjusters seems to have worked after I took the car for a drive and used the brakes. It seems, on this basis, that it is actually the wheel cylinders moving the shoes that makes the self adjusters operate.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

Best wishes,
Nigel

Current time is 11:58 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Brakes - rear lockheed Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems