Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Fuel needles  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-02-2015 09:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
blawrence

Cannot seem to get fuel/air mix lean enough. Maybe a new needle is needed in the strombergs. Does anyone know where to get replacement needles? Is it always the needle that wears or does the orifice wear too?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-03-2015 12:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Arvin Appelman

I have never had to replace the needles unless they are pitted these items don't typically wear.
Are the float levels set and needle valve closing? Other things to check would be the fuel pressure, chokes fully open, and air cleaners.

Posted: 11-03-2015 12:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Frank Schwartz

Arvin:
I think Delta sells the needles and you would probably want to get the seat as well...I also think Bruce Madden has them...in fact, I think I bought some from him years ago.
Frank

Posted: 07-31-2016 02:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
redracer

Yes, both the needles and to a lesser extent the orifice wear due to the design. Unlike SU carbs where the needle does not touch the sides of the orifice, the spring loaded Strombergs were designed to have the edge running against one side of the orifice, making the faster wearing needle run rich, mostly at idle. Use a CO meter to adjust the mixture to 4% at about 3000 rpm and don't worry about the idle mix (unless your state still requires mandatory emission tests).

Current time is 06:29 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Fuel needles Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems