Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Rear Main Seal and Oil Thrower

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Rear Main Seal and Oil Thrower  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-30-2015 03:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
answerman

After removing the rear main seal cover, I see a couple of issues, and figured I'd run them by the experts here. First, though the rear main seal didn't look horrible, the crankshaft end is marked a little (though I can't feel any roughness to it). Can I get away with polishing it up with some fine (1000 to 2000 grit) wet sandpaper?

More interestingly, if you look at the picture below, you will notice that there is no oil thrower (the star shaped deal) installed in there. Before I go any farther, how much of a concern is that?

Last edited on 10-30-2015 03:44 am by answerman

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-30-2015 03:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

The spray shield (oil thrower) takes a lot of the load off of the lip seal. Since the lip seal doesn't always keep oil from escaping, any redundancy is absolutely required.

When the seal is pressed into the cover it can be positioned to ride on a clean spot on the crank. I remember an article in the Standard about correctly installing the seal.

Cheers,
Kurt

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 07:30 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Rear Main Seal and Oil Thrower Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems