Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Timing Belt Noise  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-28-2015 08:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Bogie07

After sitting for a couple months, I started my car up and drove it for a while. It ran fine, but once it was hot the timing belt started making a loud squeaking noise. The belt is about a year and a half old with less than a thousand miles on it, so I don't really think that's the issue. I bought a Krikit to test the tension and found it was a little below 50, so now it's at about 52 when cold. Still, once it gets warm, the belt starts making lots of noises right as it hits the intake cam gear.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-29-2015 01:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Belt whine usually means it's to tight, unless you have something else going on like a bearing issue,

Posted: 09-01-2015 05:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
MikeIsotech

Brett Gibson JH5 20497 wrote:
Belt whine usually means it's to tight, unless you have something else going on like a bearing issue,

I agree, the belt is most likely too tight.

Posted: 09-01-2015 06:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Bogie07

Can someone confirm what the correct Krikit measurements are? In another post someone said around 50-52 which is what I used.

Posted: 09-01-2015 08:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
gmgiltd

There's a difference between belt whine and a loud squeaking noise which could easily come from the water pump or alternator. I would suggest you remove the fan belt and run it for a few seconds to eliminate those possibilities first.
Gordon

Posted: 09-02-2015 08:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Esprit2

Bogie07 wrote:
After sitting for a couple months, I started my car up and drove it for a while. It ran fine, but once it was hot the timing belt started making a loud squeaking noise. Define "squeaking noise". A tight timing belt will run with a whine, and as the engine warms up the belt will get tighter. At the cold tension you're talking about (50-52 Krikit KR-1), the belt shouldn't whine. At over 58 Krikit (105 Burroughs), the belt will whine and shouldn't be difficult to hear, but I wouldn't call it "loud".

To me a "squeak" or "squeal" is a more mechanical sound and might be coming from something else in the vicinity of the timing belt, like the tensioner bearing(s).

Bogie07 wrote:
The belt is about a year and a half old with less than a thousand miles on it, so I don't really think that's the issue.The original trapezoidal timing belt should be replaced every 24k miles or 24 months, whichever comes first. Neither the belt's age nor sitting idle for 2 months should account for the "squeal".

Bogie07 wrote:
I bought a Krikit to test the tension and found it was a little below 50, so now it's at about 52 when cold. Still, once it gets warm, the belt starts making lots of noises right as it hits the intake cam gear.Always check the timing belt's tension when the engine is cold, before it has been started for the first time that day. As the engine gets hot, the tension will increase considerably... hot readings mean nothing.

Take the tension reading at a point mid-way between the intake cam pulley and the auxiliary pulley.

There are several Krikit gauges, and you need the KR-1 model. All other Krikit models will produce bogus results.

Then there are several versions of the KR-1. Each KR-1 includes two scales, one in pounds and one in some other units. Be sure you read only the POUNDS scale, then any of the several (3 ?) KR-1 models will give appropriate result. The NON-pound scales will give bogus results.

There's a raised lip on one edge on the bottom of the KR-1. That lip must hang over the edge of the belt. Slide the KR-1 onto the belt until the lip seats against the side of the belt... then slowly press down until the gauge clicks.

Do everything right, and 50-52 lbs on a Krikit KR-1 should give you the correct tension on a used belt. Use 55 only when installing a new belt in order to allow for some initial stretch. If you set a new belt to 50-52, then the tension will drop off over the first 500-1000 miles, and you'll have to re-tension it.

You get what you pay for, and a $15 Krikit is not as accurate or as repeatable as a proper Burroughs gauge. However, 5o-52 lbs Krikit on a used trapezoidal belt should not cause it to "whine". I still need a better definition of your "squeak".

Regards,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 09-02-2015 08:29 pm by Esprit2

Posted: 09-02-2015 08:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Esprit2

Are the pulleys worn such that the belt is running against a stepped edge? Worn pulleys should be replaced.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Current time is 08:37 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Timing Belt Noise Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems