Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Loose 4 speed shifter  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-27-2015 04:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Frank Schwartz

Seems the JH my son and I are working on has a loose 4 speed transmission shifter. It is held in place with six bolts... all of which are inaccessible unless the transmission is lowered or removed. So, knowing that..can anyone tell me if the transmission can be removed (after removing the drive shaft and rear cross member brace) from the bell housing without removing the bell housing...or...is the transmission bolted to the bell housing from inside the housing ????????????

Thanks,
Frank Schwartz

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-27-2015 08:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
subwoofer

At least four of the bolts are inside the bell housing, so you need to have the whole thing out. Don't worry, I know it can be done, I have done it alone. But the stick has to come off beforehand, remove the center console to get to the bolts. For all I know, that may be all you have to do to fix the problem? Do not attempt to lower the box with the stick attached, it will NOT come out.

--
Joachim

Posted: 07-27-2015 08:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
answerman

Frank, I'm sure you've checked this already, but I had the same problem with the loose shifter and it was just that the 4 screws holding the shifter retention plate to the top of the transmission had worked loose (actually 3 of them had fallen out). Basically what Joachim said. I retapped the holes, put in 4 new screws and lockwashers, and everything tightened up nicely (and you can do it all through the console hole).

Posted: 07-28-2015 05:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Frank Schwartz

Gentlemen:

It is not the shifter shaft, etc. It is the entire shifter assembly where it bolts to the transmission way up inside the tunnel... I see that the only way to tighten up the six,, yes there are six, bolts is to drop the transmission...and yes, I will remove the stick first....

Posted: 07-28-2015 10:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
atgparker

Order of operations is remove hand brake screws from tunnel. Then you can remove the center console. Remove the gear lever and don't loose the 1/4 ball bearing and spring at the end of the leaver. Remove the exhaust pipe from header and center plate which bridges the tunnel.
Remove drive-shaft and have plastic bag and paper towels ready to seal off the slip yoke.
Jack the transmission set height and remove rear support cross-member.
Remove starter motor, bellhousing bolts and clutch cable.
With jack supporting it pull it off the dowels and clutch disk. I find propping the bottom of the oil pan is a good idea or the engine will rest on the steering shaft at the firewall which wreaks the bushing.

Current time is 10:57 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Loose 4 speed shifter Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems