Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Balancing carbs  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-23-2015 12:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
blawrence

Does anyone have experience using Colortune transparent plug kits to balance Stromberg carbs. Is it a worthwhile investment.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-23-2015 10:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Sander

I believe the colortune is for setting or adjusting the fuel to air ratio. With stromberg carbs, you raise or lower the needle, using a long allen head tool, and watch the colour of the spark. From memory - Yellow/rich, white/lean, blue/correct. Check the instructions!

The colortune does not balance the carbs.

Posted: 07-24-2015 02:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Tim Murphy

Hi again. Go too Delta Motorsports catalog page for carbs:
http://www.deltamotorsports.com/products/pg4a-stromberg-carb.html
You need the two tools and manual (which they may not have because it is out of print), the last three items on the list.
Stromberg manual 10240
Mixture adjust tool B20379
Unisyn synchronizer 4025A
I wanted to post pictures of the two tools but can't figure out how to do that.

Also, google something like "balancing Zenith Stromberg carbs". There is lots of very good info on other forums and sites, mostly for other British sports cars (MGs, Triumphs)
You can also use google to find pictures of the Unisyn and mixture adjusting tool. Take care.

Here is a good site, plus shows pictures of two tools on the balancing page: http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Carbs/CarbsI/CarbsI.htm

Last edited on 07-24-2015 02:34 am by Tim Murphy

Posted: 07-24-2015 12:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
blawrence

Thanks, gentlemen, for the responses. Sorry I used the incorrect terminology with reference to balancing. What I really have trouble with is adjusting the needle depths to get the right fuel/air mix across all cylinders. I have been trying to make the adjustments by lifting the pistons and listening for rev changes, then listening to exhaust notes for splashing or thumping, but I always seem to end up with a sooty plug on #1, less on #2, OK on #3 and a little white on #4.

The Colortune web site talks a lot about motor cycles and single carb engines and simply states that it also works well for multi carb engines. I just wondered if any member had used the Colortune and what they thought of it.

Thanks, Tom, for the links. Lots of God information.

Posted: 07-24-2015 12:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

My experience with color tune was that it works well on a lawn mower engine but comes up short for auto's, don't really see much change on multi piston engines.

As for getting the proper enrichment the base setting for Strom's is turn the adjuster in till seated on each carb. the back out one and a quarter turns and go from there, never making an adjustment more than 1/2 a turn until you see the results.
Brett.

Last edited on 07-24-2015 12:42 pm by Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Posted: 07-24-2015 01:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
blawrence

Thanks, Brett. I was afraid that this might be the problem. Looks like I just have to continue a lengthy program of adjust and wait.

Current time is 12:31 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Balancing carbs Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems