Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Cam Pulleys  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-01-2015 03:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
factman10

Just about to start my first crank pulley, cam pulley and tensioner bearing replacement. Other than maintaining TDC, are there any other banana skins to watch out for? Any reverse threaded nuts and bolts? Does anyone know if this process has been written up anywhere?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-02-2015 02:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Art DeKneef

No reverse threads that I remember. Parking brake engaged, trans in first gear, marked everything up and took lots of pictures.

Crank and cam pulleys are notched so only go on one way. Make sure cam pulleys have timing marks facing right way out.

When last I did mine the process was line everything up. loosen belt and remove belt. I was replacing the tensioner bearing so had to remove the pulley in front first along with the fan belts. After replacing that I would just remove one pulley at a time and put the new one on making sure everything lined up.

Having a small puller helps to remove the pulleys because I'm sure they will not just slide off. Job is not hard just time consuming because I went slow making sure everything aligned.

Posted: 05-02-2015 01:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
blawrence

Thanks for the reply, Art. I am feeling more confident.

Posted: 06-28-2015 01:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
blawrence

Timing gear replacement project got delayed, but now in progress. However, the crankshaft timing belt pulley is a problem. Do I remove the front aluminum cover and will it slide over the pulley so I can get a puller onto the pulley? Does anyone have a way to get the pulley off without removing the cover?

Posted: 06-28-2015 09:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jim Ketcham

Do not remove the cover. The crank pulley has 2 small threaded holes in its face where you use a puller.

Posted: 06-30-2015 09:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Frank Schwartz

I have never had to use a puller on the crankshaft pulley. Remove the bolt and with a small hammer, like a ball peen hammer, tap gently (that's gently)on the pulley and it always came out for me.. Remember not to loose the Woodruff key..

Current time is 07:29 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Cam Pulleys Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems