Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > sticking clutch after long storage

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
sticking clutch after long storage  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-27-2015 06:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
stuartmorgan

Hi Everyone,
I don't get on the forum much, but I almosthave my Tangerine 4 spd JH chassis 1143 / 13556 back on the road that my son Connor and I have been working on in between other car projects.
We noticed that the clutch has not been engaging after long periods of storage, can someone advise if this is common and what the possible causes are, and if a clutch kit is required. Also can someone advise if it is infact a Borg and beck and what kits and where from are available.
Thanks
Stuart Morgan
Victoria, Australia

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-27-2015 12:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

There are a couple of ways to un-stick a stuck clucth, one is take the thing apart, the other jack the car up with the rear wheels off the ground firm and solid. start the car in gear, rev the engine up depress the clutch pedal at the same time and also at the same time slam on the brakes, might have to do it a few times but thats the easy way.

Brett

Posted: 04-28-2015 01:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
stuartmorgan

Hi Brett
Thanks for the kind reply
We tried the later idea and it eventually freed up and I was able to grab reverse to get her out of the garage
May be it's air locks, don't the brakes and clutch use same fluid?
I was more worried about damaging the gearbox gates or synchro. Once we drove it up and down the drive way a couple of laps, it came good
Thanks Brett
Cheers
Stu

Posted: 04-28-2015 05:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
subwoofer

AFAIK all JHs have cable release clutches, so no air locks possible. It was probably just good old fashioned corrosion.

--
Joachim

Posted: 04-28-2015 05:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
stuartmorgan

Dear Joachim
Yes, I realised after I crawled under it, that it was mechanical clutch not hydraulic, too many cars...I am nearly 50, so I forget which has what set up ! Yes, I think you are right, just adhesion from corrosion sitting there for too long, we are fitting the interior and new soft top this weekend, so then we can get it out and definitely get the corrosion off that clutch !
Thanks guys, much appreciated
Cheers
stu

Posted: 04-28-2015 12:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
jcdean

This has happened to me on two different JH's on three seperate occasions. Each time the fix was a tow rope and a short pull with the engine off. Depressed the clucth pedal, engine compression working against the back wheels turning and it popped loose.

Posted: 04-28-2015 01:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
stuartmorgan

That's kinda what we did JC, but my pop wanted to do it with the 120Hp john deere, glad we didn't

Guys are the clutch cables suspect as they get older?? It's probably original
Should I buy a spare incase?
If so who sells NOS or exact repo

Cheers
Stuart

Posted: 05-03-2015 06:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
chrisl

Hi Stuart

You can get whatever you need from either Ross Hockley Autos in Sydney ((02) 9938 1822; Delta Motorsports in the US; or Martin Robey Engineering in the UK.

I tend to buy stuff from Ross as he always gives good advice (but allow yourself 30 mins on the phone :)

Current time is 08:16 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > sticking clutch after long storage Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems