Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Replacement Switches, Turnsignal/ Windshield wiper assembly

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Replacement Switches, Turnsignal/ Windshield wiper assembly  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-13-2005 04:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
edward_davis

I'm trying to get all of the gremlins out of the lighting systems on my 74 JH, and I was curious whether there is a reliable source for replacement switches, or if someone knows of switches that I can fit into the dashboard. 

Also, the plastic ring on my turnsignal/ wiper lever assembly, the one that holds it onto the steering column, is broken.  All of the switches in the assembly seem to work, but I have had to wedge it in place with spare bits of rubber.  Are there replacement assemblies available?  Is there a fix to my broken ring that someone else has come up with?

Finally, in a sort of humorous vein, when I push in the wiper lever, which should activate the windshield washer, my tachometer is pinned above 8000.  I can also hear the little pump motor going....  Any ideas why that might be happening?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-13-2005 04:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Joel

maybe the wiper lever ups the turbo boost pressure?

i think i need the same thing for my turn signal assembly. i have not taken it apart yet but it's loose in the column so i'm assuming some mounting bits are broken. if you find someone who has the parts please post so i can try to hunt them down too.

Posted: 07-13-2005 04:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Bruce Madden in Atlanta rebuilds those wiper switch's and all the other ones as well, super guy and does good work, I think his phone number is listed on this Web site some place, Delta has new switch's but they differ slightly, they probably even have the wipper switch but that is going to be big buck's.

Cheer's  Brett. 

Posted: 07-13-2005 09:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Tim Knowlton

As fa r as the turn signal/wiper assembly I would look into purchasing one from MG. I believe they are the same units in the MGB or MGBGT. The nice thing about these units is that the arms are not quite as long and I personally like that feature.

Good luck!

Posted: 07-18-2005 06:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
George

I compared a later model MGB one directly with the one from my JH, and the only differences were: 1) as mentioned, the shaft is a little shorter; 2) two pins on the connector need to be switched, but the wire colors are the same, so that's an easy task; and 3) the white plastic collar that operates the turn signal cancellation is a little taller on the MGB switch.  Not sure if this makes a difference or not, but I was planning on cutting it down, before I found a new old stock JH switch.  Looks like it would be a fairly straight forward job, however.  (hope this reply isn't too late to be of any help) 

George

Posted: 08-08-2005 04:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
edward_davis

Well, I replaced the original switch with a new Lucas unit from Delta Motorsports.  It was $130, but that's comparable to an MGB unit.  Not only did it solve my problem with the broken mounting ring, but it also made the horn and high-beam headlights work properly.  So I think it was money well-spent.

Posted: 08-08-2005 06:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
slazo

I already have converted to the MG switch, and George is quite correct. 2 wires must be switched in the connector, and the collar cut down, easily done with a Dremel. Works quite well.

Sheldon

1974 JH 15582

Chicago

Posted: 11-10-2005 05:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
LambandAndy

I recently bought a replacement turn signal switch from The 'B' Hive.  Price was $79.95.  Savings are well worth the extra 30 minutes work to install.

http://www.thebhive.com

Item # 320-205

Andy #15223

Posted: 11-25-2010 03:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
artmd

I had a broken mounting to my turn signal for about 15 years and finally decided to replace it with the Lucas assembly from Delta.  I switched the wires without any problem but the blue collar was too long. I tried to shorten it with a Dremel as you described but I could not get it to fit right and it kept slipping and it would not automatically release.  So what I did was remove the white plastic collar from my old assembly and replaced the blue collar.  It works like new! The shorter arm is notable but not that big of a problem.

You must be very careful when you remove the plate that holds the collar in place because the inner workings of the turn signal is also behind the plate and it is full of springs and small plastic parts. If you do not have the assemble level and remove the two bolts slowly everything will pop out.  I learned it the hard way and had to buy a second turn signal. With this one I placed it in a vice, slowly removed the plate, placed the old white collar in place of the blue and I could not be happier.

Art

Current time is 09:09 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Replacement Switches, Turnsignal/ Windshield wiper assembly Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems