Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
fan clutch  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-15-2015 01:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Bfitz241

Does anyone know of a source for the fan clutch for th JH?
Does it interchange with another car perhaps? Alternatively, are they rebuildable?
Thanks

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-16-2015 07:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
subwoofer

Is there supposed to be a fan clutch? My fan is bolted straight to the pulley.

--
Joachim

Posted: 03-16-2015 12:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
NigelK

I think this is also referred to as the viscous coupling, as fitted to JH5s and GTs? In which case most people don't bother replacing it, rather they install a modern thermostatically operated electric fan.

Posted: 03-16-2015 05:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Bfitz241

I ask because my car has a fan clutch but no fan shroud, however, I will not waste the money on a fan shroud if replacement fan clutches are not available. I will proceed directly to the electric fan installation.

And yes, I believe this is also called the "viscous coupling"

Last edited on 03-16-2015 05:47 pm by Bfitz241

Posted: 03-16-2015 05:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Bfitz241

Is it possible that the viscous fan clutch for the JH and GT is the same part as used on the Triumph Spitfire? I would think it would be likely...any opinions?

Posted: 03-16-2015 06:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
answerman

It must be a JH5/GT thing. Mine is like Joachim's, the fan and pulley are just bolted right to the water pump.

Posted: 03-16-2015 10:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
NigelK

When this same question came up on the JOC forum, it was suggested that the viscous fan coupling might be from a 1972-75 Hillman Avenger?

Posted: 03-17-2015 12:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

It's true the clutch fans came on JH5's & GT's and they work great in cooling the engine, that is until the clutch freeze's up, the fan shroud just came on the GT and use's a bigger radiator than a JH so that fan shroud won't work on a JH5, also the fan shroud Delta sell's only fits the smaller yellow fan and won't work on the larger JH5 fans. And just to make things even more complicated the JH clutch fan is about 1 1/2" smaller than a GT's.

I do think the clutch is a standard unit used on other cars but I have no experience with which one's, so if you do come across it please let us know, Thanks.

Also I'm pretty sure a yellow stationer fan will bolt up to the pump if you just want to swap it out.

Brett

Posted: 03-17-2015 09:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Bfitz241

Brett Gibson JH5 20497 wrote:
It's true the clutch fans came on JH5's & GT's and they work great in cooling the engine, that is until the clutch freeze's up, the fan shroud just came on the GT and use's a bigger radiator than a JH so that fan shroud won't work on a JH5, also the fan shroud Delta sell's only fits the smaller yellow fan and won't work on the larger JH5 fans. And just to make things even more complicated the JH clutch fan is about 1 1/2" smaller than a GT's.

I do think the clutch is a standard unit used on other cars but I have no experience with which one's, so if you do come across it please let us know, Thanks.

Also I'm pretty sure a yellow stationer fan will bolt up to the pump if you just want to swap it out.

Brett

Interesting. I was going to get the shroud in the club store, but not now.

Right now, my fan clutch works but as you pointed out it's only a matter of time until it seizes [it is British afterall].
I emailed Martin Robey and they said the part is NLA and hasn't been for years. DIdn't offer any interchange info either.
These cars are truly PITA when it comes to parts.

Posted: 03-18-2015 08:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
subwoofer

Any low volume car is going to be difficult in terms of parts at some stage, even high volume cars usually have a 10+ year span where parts availability is an issue - the time after the OEM throws away all the original parts and before the demand for parts is high enough to warrant a run of reproduction parts.

Unless you are an concourse/originality freak, replace the fan with a thermostatically controlled electric fan. It only runs when needed (slow long hill climbs and stop&go traffic) and actually frees up a horse or two.

Just my opinion, of course.

--
Joachim

Posted: 03-18-2015 09:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
gmgiltd

I agree with Joachim, my GT never had a viscous coupling and originally had a yellow eight blade plastic fan bolted to the water pump and no fan shroud. It also had a cross flow radiator which was not fitted to all the JH5's and GT's.
It seems that in the last months of production there was a fair bit of "use whatever is available " and standardisation ceased to be a priority.
I have had a Kenlowe electric fan fitted for the last thirty years which works fine - I had to change the thermostatic controller a couple of years ago, but apart from that no issues.
Gordon.

Posted: 05-04-2015 06:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Schorse

from what I ve read I seem to remeber that it is down to wether or not the car had AC. All GTs and JH5 with AC had the coupling.

Posted: 05-05-2015 03:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
gmgiltd

That could explain it - my GT never had AC. Do you know if there was any rule of thumb regarding the fitting of cross flow as opposed to down flow radiators?
Incidentally I have sent an enquiry to one of the main suppliers of radiators in the UK to try and find out if there are any mass production models the same size and will update when (if) they respond.
Gordon

Posted: 05-23-2015 05:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Frank Schwartz

Odd...all three of the GT's that I worked on had the viscous coupling fan...and it worked well on two and not on one..even when I bought a new unit. Finally I used a SPAL electric fan with a control unit and cut the extended shaft off the water pump as it stuck out too far...and still barely had an inch clearance...this worked extremely well.
The GT as delivered from the factory had the viscous coupling (AFIK) and it is shown in the parts book for the GT as well... My personal take on it is that it is a bummer and should be replaced with an electric fan...

Posted: 05-23-2015 05:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Frank Schwartz

Odd...all three of the GT's that I worked on had the viscous coupling fan...and it worked well on two and not on one..even when I bought a new unit. Finally I used a SPAL electric fan with a control unit and cut the extended shaft off the water pump as it stuck out too far...and still barely had an inch clearance...this worked extremely well.
The GT as delivered from the factory had the viscous coupling (AFIK) and it is shown in the parts book for the GT as well... My personal take on it is that it is a bummer and should be replaced with an electric fan...

Posted: 05-23-2015 03:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Bfitz241

"Finally I used a SPAL electric fan"
Do you remember which Spal you chose?  I was looking at the 30102042 14".

Posted: 06-12-2015 09:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Schorse

if it is still of concern I could look which one I ve got on my GT

Posted: 06-13-2015 06:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Frank Schwartz

My GT (sold later) had a viscous coupled fan on it and I found a replacement from Delta Motorsports..am sure they still have them. Anyhow, even with the new one it was not satisfactory and I removed it and put in an electric fan...my troubles, including static boilover were solved.

Posted: 06-13-2015 07:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Bfitz241

Good to know. The Spal electric looks more and more like the way to go.

Current time is 01:08 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > fan clutch Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems