Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Driveshaft Support Bearing

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Driveshaft Support Bearing  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-10-2005 09:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dlg

Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, but I've never disassembled a driveshaft before (or most other parts of the car for that matter).  My driveshaft was making noise and I discovered that the rubber in the driveshaft support bearing had torn, allowing it to flop around.  I found a replacement bearing and am in the process of installing it.    I have dropped the "cage" under the bearing and disconnected the driveshaft from the differential, lowering the driveshaft so that I could get at the bearing; however, I cannot figure out how to separate the two sections of the driveshaft (at the bearing) so that the bearing can be replaced.  I found and unseated a snapring at the aft end of the bearing but suspect that there must be some secret connector (possibly only 30 year old rust) holding this thing together.  Thought I'd ask for help before reaching for the hammer!   Attached is a picture of the bearing.

Thanks for any help!!

Attachment: drvshftbrng.jpg (Downloaded 34 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-11-2005 12:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ron Earp

Judson et al, this must be the two piece shaft you were describing to me with respect to driveshafts and 5 speed types? This I definitely do not have.

Ron

Posted: 07-24-2005 12:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
dlg

In case anyone else needs to do this...

I took the driveshaft to Driveshafts Unlimited in Arnold, MO and they managed to disassemble the joint behind the bearing, press on the new bearing I gave them (which by the way is an Austin Marina support bearing, but identical except for some spot welded on nuts which I just knocked off), and reassemble the driveshaft.  I just got it bolted back in the car and it works great -- no more floppy driveshaft!

Don't know if any more bearings are out there, but in case there are, here's the part numbers on the box it came in:

1 X 37H 8019

A3358 A3

BTW -- cost me only $40 for the driveshaft work, so this was a good alternative to replacing with a one piece shaft!

Last edited on 07-24-2005 12:25 am by dlg

Current time is 06:32 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Driveshaft Support Bearing Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems