Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Stainless Steel Rocker Panels =?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Stainless Steel Rocker Panels =?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-29-2014 11:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
GlenC

I've finished unpacking the parts from the car and inventoried them so at least I know what I've got. I did notice that the replacement rocker panels that came with the car were stainless steel. I can't find any reference to stainless rockers and the PO has told me he's had them for a few years and that they were made by a guy in England and that they are no longer available. On the surface it would seem to be a great material for rust prone areas but are there any potential installation issues with stainless in this area?

Thanks,

Glen

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-29-2014 03:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
gmgiltd

Hi Glen,
Not sure if would a solution to one problem that causes others. Depending on the grade of stainless - if it's 304 it's pretty close to carbon steel but tougher (not stronger) and more corrosion resistant - it's used mainly for exhaust systems. When you go up to 316 or the 22 and 25 percent chrome duplexes then you start to get real issues with preferential corrosion - it will eat the carbon steel that you weld the sills to. If you have ever examined steel U bolts that have been on a stainless exhaust for a couple of years you will know what I mean.
Gordon

Posted: 12-06-2014 01:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
GlenC

Gordon,

Thanks. I've worked in a shop before that built stainless steel fabrication for the foodservice industry as a designer (not a welder unfortunately). I'm thinking to your point this material may not be the easiest thing to weld to regular steel without creating problems.

Thanks for the insight and have a great weekend.

Glen

Posted: 12-07-2014 06:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Screenplay

Hi Glen,

After tearing apart my own '74 and cutting out some of that rocker rust, I'd have to say keep it simple. Or as a friend of mine likes to say, "Don't overthink it." Figure it took maybe 20 years or more (depending where you live and if the car is garaged) for the rust to get to the point that it needed attention. Replace the rotted panels with similar steel, properly treated and and/or painted and you'll avoid creating new problems. With the car covered or garaged, you may not see any issues for many years (if even in your lifetime).

Clinton

Last edited on 12-07-2014 06:45 pm by Screenplay

Current time is 05:20 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Stainless Steel Rocker Panels =? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems