New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
New Member - Just getting started  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-16-2014 12:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
GlenC

Hello all,

Back in college I test drove a JH at a dealership and it's always been on my short list of cars I wanted to own. Last week I purchased vin 13949 and I spent the week going through the car to see where I'm starting from and to try and come up with a plan. The engine runs strong but past that I'm going to have to go through the majority of the car. My first concern is very rusted rockers at the rear of the front fender wells and the lower fenders in that area have bubbling and a couple of fair size holes. The car came with new sills and rockers. I'm thinking that the first order of business is to address the rust issues so it doesn't get any worse. I'm thinking of sourcing a solid pair of used fenders to address that area but my question is I have never welded anything in my life - are the rocker replacements something simple enough for a rookie welder to attempt or am I better off locating a qualified shop in the Atlanta area to do this?

Also in the interim is there some way I should treat the rust to prevent any further deterioration?

Any advice is appreciated. I think this is going to be a fun and rewarding project.

Glen

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-16-2014 02:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Buy a decent wire feed welder and a very good 4-1/2" angle grinder, start welding and if it doesn't look good grind it down and weld some more, after awhile you will get really good at either welding or grinding but hopefully welding.

Biggest tip I can give is make sure the metal you are welding is ground clean, no dirt grease rust or paint.
Brett.

Posted: 11-16-2014 02:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Sander

Welcome! I'm in Atlanta and am happy to help. POR 15 is a great product for stopping rust. I've sent you a pm with my contact information.

Current time is 07:32 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > New Member - Just getting started Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems