New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Taller Diff Ratio  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-16-2014 08:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
NigelK

Hi

My GT has the stock drive-train - 2.0l 907, Getrag 235/5, 3.45:1 Magnum 2300 axle. I want a proper overdrive to reduce the revs on long distance journeys. The "standard" solution seems to be the W58 gearbox upgrade with the 3.73:1 Viva 1800 axle. I would, however, prefer to retain the 235/5, as I think its dogleg 1st and close ratios are part of the car's uniquely quirky character.

As far as I know, there is no Getrag box with a dogleg 1st and a taller 5th gear. I looked quite seriously at a standalone Layock o/d unit, but there is not enough room in the transmission tunnel.

In parallel I am going to upgrade the engine to Lotus Spec 10 (2.2l, HC, 180bhp). I am wondering whether the extra power and torque might allow me to get away with a taller diff ratio, dropping revs on the motorway without sacrificing acceleration at lower revs.

There does not seem to be a taller cwp set available for the Magnum 2300 axle off the shelf. A custom set would probably be prohibitively expensive. An alternative option would be the Ford Atlas axle from a V6 Capri, which has a 3.09:1 cwp set. This axle has been fitted to JH's in the past, with relatively minor modifications required.

Does anyone have any other ideas for achieving a taller diff ratio? Would 3.09:1 blunt lower down performance too much, even with a 2.2l HC conversion?

Any thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Nigel

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-17-2014 03:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hi Nigel,

I'm running a 3.45 diff with the 4 speed transmission. It's slower off the line, but I do like the long gears. With flat top pistons and 107 cams, it still pulls hard from 3500 to 6000rpm.

I would try larger wheels with taller tires. This will give you the legs for high speed cruising at a cost of some off the line performance. The 2.2 will give it all back and more!

Kurt

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 02:15 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Taller Diff Ratio Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems