Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Fuel Tank Drain Plug  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-14-2014 01:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Screenplay

Does anyone know what size the brass drain plug is on the JH tank? I just purchased an aluminum tank and would like to find an aluminum plug but I haven't been able to determine the size of the original (thread count, etc). It doesn't seem to fit into any of the usual sizes. Delta just carries the replacement and they don't know the dimensions. Fastenal couldn't figure it out either. I might just go ahead and use the brass but I don't want to set up a situation where I'd be inviting corrosion. Any thoughts?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-15-2014 01:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

You stand a bigger chance of corrosion with aluminum than brass, and if I remember correctly it's a pipe thread NPTE not sure of the size but probably 1/2" or 3/4".
Brett.

Posted: 11-15-2014 06:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Screenplay

Looks like I should have started at my local hardware store. While it looks like 5/8" it's a exact match to 3/8" NPT. They matched it up right away. As far as corrosion goes with the brass plug/aluminum tank, I'm hearing and reading differing opinions. Some say always keep aluminum with aluminum, others say stainless, and some say it really doesn't matter because if I use the brass plug there won't be enough corrosion to make a difference in my lifetime. I'm going too play it safe and go with aluminum.

Current time is 08:29 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > Fuel Tank Drain Plug Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems