New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Restoration Project  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-24-2014 05:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Davidsl95

New project started on a rusted out JH VIN 15025. Start date *Sept 23, 2014*
Things to do: This car is in horrible shape. Even Greg said the engine was the worst He had ever seen... It was all gunked up, still had oil in it, still had gas in it, and was left outside with no cover, and no convertible top for what seems like 10+ years. The bottom is not completely rusted out, but is pretty bad, the interior is in worse shape than the engine. The carpet comes apart in my hands... And some of the electronics do the same. The original owner lost the keys and had a lock smith come out. I wouldn't call him a locksmith... He destroyed the ignition cylinder and now I have to buy a new one. It just looks like he took a hack saw to the thing. The cover to one of the cams was left open to, i'm forced to replace those. It's far past the cleaning stage for it. The tires are shot, but the rims are good. The body is surprisingly in really good condition after a nice sanding. Only two dents in the entire car. Not to hard to fix either. Time to get to work! Finishing sanding everything down today so the rust stops eating the car. I don't want to replace anything if I dont have to at this point. But later down the road I will replace it. Wish me luck!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-24-2014 05:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Welcome to the message board!

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Feel free to ask questions if you get stuck, we do have some very knowledgeable folks on this site.

Kurt Housh
JH 13148 and 19753

Posted: 09-27-2014 08:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Davidsl95

Thank you very much for the warm welcome :D.
*UPDATE*
I have most of the rust out of the bottom of the car!!! WOOHOO! I also bought the adjuster for the tensioner pulley and managed to get my timing belt on and in time thankfully!!!!

I have a couple of wires I going to temporarily fix due to the fact i'm going to rewire the entire car in the near future. But for right now I just want to see if the car will even start. But first, to check the necessities that keep the car running so I don't hurt the engine.

Posted: 10-03-2014 11:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Davidsl95

I'm sad to report this... My engine is seized as I had feared... I'm currently deciding two factors.
1. Do I scrap the lotus 907 engine and buy a different engine such as the 912.
2. Rebuild the engine, keeping the oem look, but continue with the problems it Will continually have?

I'm not worried about oem to much because it's not ever going to be sold in my lifetime. This is for me and when I have kids for them.... Please reply and let me know what you think.

Posted: 10-04-2014 12:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Art DeKneef

You will probably have better luck finding a used 907 than a 912. Unless you already have a line on one. Also I remember a couple others here who have used either the 910 or 912 engine and had to modify the mounting of it because of the oil pan being bigger. It's discussed in a thread here somewhere.

As far as rebuilding the 907, you won't know how bad or good it really is until you have torn down the engine and got a good look at everything.

Keep working on the other parts of the car until you know the state of the engine.

Like Kurt said, just ask if you get stuck.

Posted: 10-04-2014 06:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
subwoofer

You don't say what part of the world you are in, but I think a completely rebuilt 907 updated with a 2.2 crank, ported head and L14 cams are on the order of 3500-4000£ from Lotusbits, provided a core is delivered to them. You can buy a core from them for not too much money.

Might be worth considering.

--
Joachim

Posted: 10-04-2014 07:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Davidsl95

United states... On the west side of it

Current time is 11:29 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > Restoration Project Top